ATX Community

Who claims child and HOH/EIC/CTC

Janitor Bob

Unmarried clients live together all of 2014 with their child.  He made $49,000.  She made $21,000.  EIC will not help him, but will get her a large refund.  Can they decide who gets to claim the child for HOH/EITC/CTC or does it need to be him since (based on incomes) he likely provided more than half the support for the household?

Tie-Breaker Rules

Under the tie-breaker rule, the child is treated as a qualifying child only by:

• The parents if they file a joint return;
  • The parent, if only one of the persons is the child's parent;
  • The parent with whom the child lived the longest during the tax year, if two of the persons are the child's parent and they do not file a joint return together.  
  • The parent with the highest AGI if the child lived with each parent for the same amount of time during the tax year, and they do not file a joint return together;
  • The person with the highest AGI if no parent can claim the child as a qualifying child; or
  • A person with the higher AGI than any parent who can also claim the child as a qualifying child but does not.

If he is the father, only he can claim the EIC because he has the higher income. If he is not the father, she can claim it if she chooses.

Edit: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Qualifying-Child-of-More-Than-One-Person

Edited by jmdaviscpa
  • Like 2

The tiebreaker rules come into play if two people try to claim one child; the IRS steps in to break the tie.  If the parents living together cooperate, which I would expect since they're both parents and living together, you can work it out to the best benefit of the whole household staying within the law.

Pacun's way works.

However, did she (maybe via a joint checking account) pay half the upkeep of the house?  It is possible for her to be HOH if the housing costs aren't expensive.  You see their whole picture.  Run the numbers every way you can think of.  Do a housing spreadsheet.

Also, some planning for 2015 is an opportunity for you to help them pay the lowest legal tax liability.

Edited by Lion EA
  • Like 4

Why did you stop pasting? I am pasting the next paragraph..,

"If another person uses your qualifying child to claim EITC using the tie breaker rule, you can claim EITC only if you have another qualifying child. You cannot take the credit using the rules for those with no qualifying child."

IF IF IF IF is a big word.

IN ANY EVENT, you cannot say that the father is the one with the information provided.

I want to add something: Why not many people participated on my sample? This is exactly the issue I addressed and I added 5 more siblings to the puzzle.

When earned income is involved, I put the whole family together in my office and I tell them.... if this person claims the child, you will loose the battle, now if these other people claim the child, you will win.

Edited by Pacun

Why did you stop pasting?

Hey, I'm not greedy.  Left you some room there.

I want to add something: Why not many people participated on my sample? This is exactly the issue I addressed and I added 5 more siblings to the puzzle.

I can't think past two siblings.  Are you kidding?

• Like 4

When earned income is involved, I put the whole family together in my office and I tell them.... if this person claims the child, you will loose the battle, now if these other people claim the child, you will win.

When people are busy with actual returns, and someone posts a complex 'sample' problem, you are not going to get a lot of responses.  Especially that one, which had so many factors and weird $ amounts, IMHO.  Made my head hurt just reading it.   :tinfoilhat:  

• Like 6

Jut found this:

Example 11—unmarried parents.

You, your 5-year-old son, and your son's father lived together all year. You and your son's father are not married. Your son is a qualifying child of both you and his father because he meets the relationship, age, residency, and joint return tests for both you and his father. Your earned income and AGI are $12,000, and your son's father's earned income and AGI are $14,000. Neither of you had any other income. Your son's father agrees to let you treat the child as a qualifying child. This means, if your son's father does not claim your son as a qualifying child for the EIC or any of the other tax benefits listed earlier, you can claim him as a qualifying child for the EIC and any of the other tax benefits listed earlier for which you qualify.

I don't do a lot of EIC returns so it's not an area of expertise.

• Like 2