ATX Community

less than 3 months coverage?

Marie

Taxpayer was on unemployment for july, aug, and sept, which at that time he and his daughter went without insurance. when he started working in Oct, insurance was reinstated. does this qualify for the B exemption. it says less than 3 months, does that mean 2 months then?

Correct --- LESS than 3 months.

Now if he had insurance even one day in July, then they had coverage for July and it would only be "two months" with no coverage --- which would qualify for an exemption.

Of course that also is considering they had coverage immediately on employment in October and not the "first full month following" employment.

It is correct two full months and part month(s) on either end.

I have never done a survey but if someone would post 1 with two questions:

On January 2nd, 2015,

1.- Did you believe that 3 months were exempted?

2.- Did you believe clients making less than $50K were going to pay a Maximum penalty of $95 per head and children half of it with a maximum of $280 or so?

It is correct two full months and part month(s) on either end.

I have never done a survey but if someone would post 1 with two questions:

On January 2nd, 2015,

1.- Did you believe that 3 months were exempted?

2.- Did you believe clients making less than $50K were going to pay a Maximum penalty of $95 per head and children half of it with a maximum of $280 or so?

Neither of those are/were part of the regulations or directions. 

I don't think we know enough about July to say it was 2 or 3 month gap.  OP said:

Taxpayer was on unemployment for july, aug, and sept, which at that time he and his daughter went without insurance. when he started working in Oct, insurance was reinstated

If taxpayer had coverage for even 1 day in July then the gap would be 2 months, but if coverage was only through 6/30 and not reinstated until the month of Oct, then the gap is 3 months and doesn't meet that exception to the penalty for those months.  The OP implies that there was no coverage for the 3 months of July through Sept, so I'm going with a count of 3 months.