ATX Community

Standing Desk - Many Benefits

JohnH

I do have the run-into-my-home-office-to-just-check-on-something moments when I would love to stand at a desk, even though those moments turn into hours and days when you move on to something else or another client calls.  As it is now, I lean over to make that quick check and stay leaning much longer than I intended to.  And my usual sitting position, no matter how hard I try to concentrate on my posture, degenerates quickly into hunching over my computer.  I love that chair and would probably even pay the $1,400 for it -- if I could find time to clean up my office so I could use such a chair, or even a standing desk, and have a credenza system to hold my piles or other office clean-up to handle storage and active files and reference materials and....  (I have a desk I bought on Craigslist that ends in a mini-conference table that's still in my basement years later.  It has no drawers, so I have to rearrange, move things around, etc., to fit the desk in and still retain enough storage drawers/shelves.  I just haven't made the time to measure, move, reshelve, clean out, straighten up, etc., to put it to use.  Luckily, I didn't pay much for it.  But, I do want to work it in someday.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roberts said:

Ikea sells stand up desks also. They don't have to be expensive.

I wonder, how often do you really stand while working? I just go for walks throughout the office building a few times per day or around the block.

My standing desk is the only one in my office connected to the internet.  It also runs my tax software.  So I'm at it most of the day.   I do have a bar stool at the standing desk, so probably 1/3 of the time I'm half-standing/ half-sitting. And the little pedal exerciser gets a workout when I'm sitting on the bar stool   However, I have my workspace & monitor height arranged so that I'm most comfortable standing.  I think it's great for circulation and alertness. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roberts said:

I wonder, how often do you really stand while working? I just go for walks throughout the office building a few times per day or around the block.

It varies but I stood most of the morning this morning. I usually try to stand at least 1 hour in the morning, 1 in the afternoon and 1 in the evening.

• Like 1