ATX Community

Efile rejection message (freaky)

ILLMAS

Form 1040, line 6c, for each dependent, if Line 6c (4) checkbox "EligibleForChildTaxCreditInd" is checked, then that dependent's age must be under 17.

Dependent was born in 1998 and was 16 during 2014, so the parents are still eligible for the credit, anyone have an idea why it's being rejected?

Have you verified it with the birth certificate? Ironically, the IRS sometimes doesn't say "hey dude, you entered the wrong year for this dependent" until they turn 17.

Check his birth date and if correct, then check with the social security administration just in case they made a mistake.

I had that happen with one of my clients.  He was born in 1951, but the SSA coded it as 1957 when he got his SS card. 

Filed the return with and IRA contribution with the extra geezer amount, and they rejected it.  We had to go to the SSA with a new Birth Certificate to correct it.

Rich

• Like 1

I have a client whose day of birth is off by one day, according to SSA. I don't know whether to believe him or SSA.

Also have a friend who can't prove when she was born (home birth, off-the-grid parents, etc.). She may have to wait several years longer to collect SS and qualify for other tax breaks.

Thanks I'll double check the DOB with the parents, but if the date of birth is incorrect, I was able to transmit the dependent tax return without a problem and it was accepted.  

MAS

You will be surprise. Get the birth certificate and don't assume that because the IRS didn't say "hey dude, you are entering the wrong year of birth on two returns", you are entering correctly. There are a few times when the IRS really cares about the birth dates: when the dependent turns 17, 19, 24 if child tax credit or EIC is involved. When a tax payer becomes 25 or 65 if EIC is claimed without dependents or when retirement events, such as contributions or withdrawals.

Again, SSA might have the wrong date.

Edited by Pacun