ATX Community

"Management fees" IRA

tst

Fees for advisement advice are deductible but if someone is billed for "management fees" for an IRA but paid with funds inside the IRA (not billed directly) would you take as a deductio subject to 2% of AGI

I know custodial fees if paid with funds outside of IRA ARE DEDUCTIBLE But not custodial fees with funds inside IRA

BUT many clients have "management fees". Paid inside IRA. WOULD YOU DEDUCT? Rule says expenses to collect income "manage" income etc but is this only if fee billed separately outside IRA

Thanks in advance.

Some list on brokerage stmt

"Advisory fees" some "management fees"

Trying to understand if there's distinction between IRAs and regular brokerage accounts or if the distinction is if they don't pay for it separately there's no deduction

The issue is not the management fees, it is the vehicle from which the funds being used to pay them are coming from.  All the expenses in a retirement account are generating deferred income, hence they are not deductible.  Fees in a brokerage account are for the generation of currently taxable income, and therefore can be deducted to offset the currently taxable income that they are creating.

Tom

Newark, CA

• Like 5

A traditional IRS is already a tax deferred account, so if the funds are being deducted from the IRA, the money paying the fees has not been taxed. You'd be double dipping and only preachers can do that with mortgage interest, property tax and housing allowance. Don't get me started.

You beat me, Tom. But I still love you.

Edited by RitaB
  • Like 1

If you pay the IRA advisory fees with funds outside the IRA, you can deduct it, but it only makes sense to do this if the fees are large and you're already over the 2% limit because it both saves you taxes and leaves more money in the IRA. For most people it's smarter to pay the fees inside the IRA.

• Like 1

If they have multiple accounts with the same broker, they can have the broker deduct the fees for all accounts from the non-retirement account.  Therefore, getting the total fees outside the IRA and deductible on Sch A.  That also lets their IRA build up more.