ATX Community

Calling the IRS....

ETax847

I just got thru to a human in 20 minutes this morning.

It was about my client not getting his refund....and I followed the prompts for "tax questions...rules & regulations".  When I followed the prompts for refund questions I got "the machine".

This was the tax preparer's priority line.

I just got thru to a human in 20 minutes this morning.

It was about my client not getting his refund....and I followed the prompts for "tax questions...rules & regulations".  When I followed the prompts for refund questions I got "the machine".

This was the tax preparer's priority line.

​Really?!  I really hope that client's return that you called about had an issue to resolve on it, and that you didn't call the practitioner priority line to simply check on a refund that the client thought he should have received more quickly. 
Here is the IRS page for that service that describes what it should be used for, that should be limited to:

Services provided by PPS assistors are:

• Locating and applying payments
  • Resolving taxpayer account problems on active accounts
  • Explaining IRS communications (i.e. notices and letters)
  • Providing general procedural guidance and timeframes
  • Providing one of the self-help methods to obtain forms and publications
  • Providing transcripts of taxpayer accounts (including income verification), when the tax professional is calling in regards to an account related issue

and it goes on further to say:

2014 Changes to Practitioner Priority Services

Effective January 6, 2014, the IRS will limit Practitioner Priority Service to responding only to requests from tax professionals who are actively working with their clients to resolve tax account issues.

OMG....seriously?

I do know how to use "where's my refund".  And when I checked there over a month ago it said he'd be getting a letter within 30 days and he'd have 30 days to respond.  Over 30 days later...it still had the same message.  But he still didn't get the letter.

I do hope this satisfies everyone.

• Like 2

OMG....seriously?

I do know how to use "where's my refund".  And when I checked there over a month ago it said he'd be getting a letter within 30 days and he'd have 30 days to respond.  Over 30 days later...it still had the same message.  But he still didn't get the letter.

I do hope this satisfies everyone.

​The real question is: Did you get any useful information from them that could speed up their processes?

Edited by Jack from Ohio

​The real question is: Did you get any useful information from them that could speed up their processes?

​Yeah...I did.

The rep didn't see anything about a letter...but said it was reviewed on 5/18...and he should get "something" (refund or letter) by 6/18.  And if not...I should call back and it would be expedited.

The attached is from CT's IRS liaison as handed out at a NY/CT-ATP dinner meeting.  Go to pages 3-5, especially points 5-7.  

2014-05 IRS Small Business Outline & Handouts.docx

​The course outline has a few items that need to be addressed.

1. A POA is Not needed to request transcripts. Form 8821 will do, which our secretaries use.

2. The hours are listed as 7AM to 7PM. Is this a recent change?  It was always 8 to 8.  

3. Under the menu options, No.2 -  to order record of account - the voice message says it is for accounts Not in collections. Besides, Record of Account only goes back 3 years.

We have found that using option 3 will get access to all of the account information, whether in collections or not and whether business or not.

When using this option say that you are doing a compliance check.  You can order any transcript - Account, Wage & Income (these go back to 2005), Tax return (Record of Account is the Account Transcript and Return Transcript combined, but, again, they only go back 3 years.

• Like 2

I thought the OP asked about getting through on the phone faster, so I thought points 5-7 straight from CT's IRS liaison might help.  If I have an occasion to speak to him, I will pass along your comments.  (I think he spoke to our group about a year ago.)

​Yeah...I did.

The rep didn't see anything about a letter...but said it was reviewed on 5/18...and he should get "something" (refund or letter) by 6/18.  And if not...I should call back and it would be expedited.

​Well, I wasn't that lucky.  Practitioner Hotline couldn't tell me any more than what I found on Where's My Refund.  (couldn't or wouldn't?)

​Yeah...I did.

​Let us know how that works out...  NOTHING gets expedited by the IRS in the last 18 months.  Criminal Lois Lerner has screwed all of us.

• Like 3