ATX Community

NT: David Bowie

Catherine

Sad news on his passing today.  Remarkable, as well, that he kept his battle with cancer secret for the last couple of years.  Also glad that he was surrounded by family.  There are far worse ways to go than surrounded by those you love, right after a major album release, and without having made a spectacle of your illness.  Also nice that unlike far too many musicians, he died of a disease rather than suddenly by drug overdose.  Sigh.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

It's just that time of our lives. All the greats from the 60s & 70s will be leaving us soon. I was a big Alice Cooper fan before I was a David Bowie fan. I like offbeat, can you tell? We have many more of these days ahead with Jagger, Eric Clapton, Ozzy Osborne, Alice Cooper, Paul McCartney, Roger Daltry, John Kay (Steppenwolf), Ian Anderson, everyone in Blue Oyster Cult, etc., etc.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

It's just that time of our lives. All the greats from the 60s & 70s will be leaving us soon. I was a big Alice Cooper fan before I was a David Bowie fan. I like offbeat, can you tell? We have many more of these days ahead with Jagger, Eric Clapton, Ozzy Osborne, Alice Cooper, Paul McCartney, Roger Daltry, John Kay (Steppenwolf), Ian Anderson, everyone in Blue Oyster Cult, etc., etc.

I'm surprised so many have lasted this long.  Most of them lived in the fast lane in their early years.  To quote Neil Young, 'the damage done'.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

There are a few of my favorites in your list too.  Husband and I are making a point of seeing artists from our youth for this very reason as they come to our area.  I think the last we saw was Three Dog Night, and Cory Wells passed on last November and Jimmy Greenspoon last March. 

• Like 2

Dale Griffin, drummer of my fave band Mott the Hoople, died the same day as Glen Frey.  He had early onset Altzheimer's. 

I bought tickets for The Who a year ago because I realized I'd never seen them. The show has been postponed twice now...hopefully I'll finally get to see them this May.  We are getting of an age where age just catches up to us.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, joanmcq said:

Dale Griffin, drummer of my fave band Mott the Hoople, died the same day as Glen Frey.  He had early onset Altzheimer's. 

I bought tickets for The Who a year ago because I realized I'd never seen them. The show has been postponed twice now...hopefully I'll finally get to see them this May.  We are getting of an age where age just catches up to us.

I saw The Who in Worcester some years ago.  *Fabulous* show.  Remember your earplugs!!  Having them meant I could enjoy the music rather than end up with a three-day headache and ringing ears.

• Like 4

On 1/30/2016 at 10:08 PM, joanmcq said:

I saw The Who in Sept 2000 in NJ. when there were still three original members.  It was, hands down, the best concert I have ever been too!  And that includes The Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, Genesis, David Bowie, AC/DC, Yes, Rush, James Taylor and I'm sure a bunch of others I am forgetting.

I hope you get to see them.  I'm sure it will be a memorable experience.