ATX Community

Vista Users... How is it working for you Pros and Cons

ljwalters

I need to purchase a new computer. I'm a little leeey of Vista. How is it working for those of you who already have it? I will be getting the Ultimate because I some times work remotely from the house (My office is detached). The computer I have now gets so bogged down, there have been several times I had to shut everything down and restart just to get a return printed.

I have read all the early post on this subject and it seems that ATX works ok on Vista EXCEPT for the post referring to the Vista UAC (what ever that is) causing ATX to not open. This of course does not sound good at all.

I think there are probably many of us on this site that could use the eperiences of others to make a well informed decision.

Thank you

Linda and buddy

I have a daughter and two computer clients (I have a small computer sales and service company) that have Vista on the new laptops that they just HAD to have. As a result of my experience with these three....

I will NOT have Vista operating system on any computer in my home or at the firm where I work, (Server and 13 workstations) until there is absolutely NO other option.

I have a computer provider that will still make laptops with XP Pro on them. Contact me if you wish to have more information.

It is possible to purchase a new computer without having to succumb to Vista. I refused to go to Vista for my most recent computer purchase in December and was able to do it.

The only thing is, that if you must buy a Dell, HP, or other "name brand" I believe they have contracts with MS that require Vista.

My computer was built by a local "computer factory" by people that are far more techno than I am. They advised that I could buy the operating system of something like "MS Vista with XP Downgrade rights".

What that means is I technically "bought" Vista, but they were authorized to install XP on my machine and then, someday, in what I am guessing will be the distant, distant future, when Vista is "stable", I can then have them (not me...tooooo scary!) install Vista for me.

I am thinking it might be when the "next" operating system comes out! LOL

Have been using Vista for about 5 months, and it works very well for all my applications. It appears to be a significant efficiency improvement over XP IMO. I have ATX loaded from 2002 and all later years, and all seem to work very well. If you are interested in using Vista, there are a couple important things to know which will allow you to run XP-compatible programs on Vista. Also, I think a Vista service pack is just about ready to be released, but I have had no real problems in 5 months, other than the printer drivers for many printers still have not been rewritten by the printer manufacturers. But there are many workarounds for these. If you have a Vista-compatible printer there is no problem.

One of the biggest problems with XP is that it becomes progressively bogged down after a year or 2 of use. The only effective fix is to re-format and re-load all your operating software and data, starting with a clean slate. The XP operating instructions discuss this, but few people do it because it is so time-consuming. It appears this issue has disappeared with Vista, but will not know for sure until a few more months have passed. Overall, I recommend Vista over XP for efficiency and security reasons.

Right now, I have no reason to upgrade, XP is doing everything I need it to. If anyone is looking to upgrade, I would wait until Vista Service Pack 1 is released. I've used Microsoft products long enough to know that early adopter = unpaid beta tester.

My wife's laptop has Vista on it, and we honestly haven't had that many problems with it. The battery lasts quite a bit longer with all of the frilly visual stuff turned off.

I think most of the big name computer companies still offer some computers with XP pre-loaded if you're reluctant to switch. For example, all of the computers in Dell's Small-Medium Business section give you the option to choose between XP and Vista.

Just installed (not me) a new computer - Dell Vostro 400 with XP - my computer guy stated that he does not recommend Vista at this time. What is great is that I got a 24" monitor and IT IS Great!!!!! I can see everything. I work with 3 monitors now but with the primary being so large now - It can easily act as two now giving me a 4 monitor station!

JFH

I used ATX 01-06 on XP and never had a problem. Bought a new computer with Vista this year. The program crashed all the time and I was having a terrible problem with the printing (PDF or Printer). I bought VM Ware software to run a virtual machine of XP and had no problems. Since I was running a virtual machine anyway, I bought a Mac and run the VM software with Windows XP. I love it. I have windows XP that takes care of all my business needs (ATX, QB, Office) and have all the fun toys of MAC (sound, video, photo). Never thought I would ever buy a Mac. Never would have if Microsoft didn't release the devil that is Vista.

It usually takes a year or two for the software applications to catch up with the new operating system. I try to time a new computer purchase after SP1 and preferably SP2 comes out. Vista SP1 is due out soon. I expect most of the problems to be ironed out before next tax season. My current computer is about 2 and a half years old with XP SP2. I'm hoping Vista SP2 will be out before I buy my next computer.

If I had money and time to spend, I'd get a Linux machine and play around with the software applications available.