ATX Community

ATX Advantage

NECPA in NEBRASKA

I just looked up the ATX Advantage package after looking at the notes from today's program update. Do they seriously think that I'm going to want to pay an additonal $1,320 for the ability to have my out of state credits prepared automatically? It's pretty nifty but I'm pretty sure that Drake's does that without an upcharge, unless I misunderstood the seminar. I know that it includes six users, but I already have five with my Total Tax Office and I only need one. Maybe I'm doing something wrong and should downgrade my package or see if I can build my own package. I never hear from my rep. Emails and phone calls are never returned. I think that all of mine must quit as soon as they get my to renew. 

• Like 1

Advantage costs $1,320??  Insane.   I've noticed that credits have been calculating automatically on the last few returns I've done, but no way is it worth that type of premium. 

I've been a loyal customer of ATX for many years, going back to the Parson days.  It may be time to at least test some of the other software packages over the summer. 

• Like 2

Insane is a good word for it.  Since the 2012 debacle I took advantage of the ProSeries free offer to file extensions and the returns after 4/15 as I had 2 returns with 11 states that ATX2012 could not handle, a very frustrating time in our lives as we all know.  I have purchased PS PPR for those 2 returns every year since and while I'm happy with the program I do like ATX better, maybe because I go back to the Sabre days and breaking up is hard to do. 

Now I'll have that song in my head all night.

• Like 3

Back in 2013 when I was trying to do the first of those returns I couldn't get past a few states without slowing to a crawl, crashing and depreciation problems.  I'm sure I could do them now with ATX but I think the PPR which costs me $279 and $35 for each return is more like an insurance policy for me, or maybe I should say a security blanket.  The 2 returns are big and I'm well compensated so I don't mind the extra cost.  This year I have had only minor problems but there are a few people on the other board with more serious problems.  

There have been a few.  They even have a pinned thread to post stack traces when the program freezes up and needs to be re started.  Some have said their rollover manager disappeared.  Server not starting is another pain, happens to me if computer is off at night.  Granted, much of it could not be ATX's fault, but since 2012 happened I've gotten a little nervous when I have a quirk or hiccup. 

Well...

I have noticed, using ATX and MD Returns, with Out of State Credits, if I delete the MD out of state credit form  (502CR) early in the return prep process, put in the other states info in the states system, including info on the W-2 screen, the out of state info flows to the 502CR when I add it later and its all done.  Sweet.

If you leave the rollover 502CR, you have to put the other state info in manually.

And I did not buy the ATX Advantage plan this year.

Rich

So, they (ATX) are telling us the out of state tax credits being automatically populated on home state is a temporary feature only to continue if we buy Advantage?  Would they do that to us? 

I remember back with ATX2012 trying to do the first of those returns with 11 states, TP was a resident of NC and ATX would only accept 3 states for NC's TC form.  Had to use pencil and paper for the rest and combine them.  Maybe it was good I had so much trouble with the program stopping and stalling.  It was a sign to extend and use another program if only for mental health reasons.

Thanks for those comments FDNY and Yardley. I read this topic and thought to myself that without the "Advantage", ATX would really be an incomplete product, but I didn't want to sound like I'm bashing the product since I'm no longer a user.  If it were true that their standalone product wouldn't calculate an out-of-state credit, that would be enough for me to consider other vendors' software.

Users seem to accept that ATX takes functions away and continue to pay higher prices each year for a lesser product, and then have to purchase additional modules (like when the payroll module was split off) to have the same capabilities as in the past year, the restructuring of fees for additional users, plus the talk of added processing fees such as for the 1099s. It all adds up in the overall cost of the product.

• Like 4