ATX Community

Wading through

jklcpa

I've actually completed a lot of work this week and it feels good. The last 2 weeks have been hell around here with one of my larger C corps in the midst trying to negotiate the sale of their business. It's been a lot of interruptions and I lost any motivation and momentum with my other work that has been piling up. Then this same client's attorneys started with the calls about the sale 2 days ago.

I got on a roll with some partnerships and personals and now have only a handful that are in that haven't yet been worked on. Everything else is either waiting on signature forms or have been printed and are ready for pickup.  Of course, there are still those that aren't yet in, and some new clients that I've agreed to accept at this late date that have yet to drop off. 

There's a wee pinpoint of light at the end of the long tunnel though!

In other good news, I raised my prices this year by 10-15% and no one has complained.  I've started giving a small discount to those that are using the drop box and mentioning it to those that chose not to. I hope that will encourage more people to use it in future. I should have done that years ago.

• Like 9

Every one I pick up today, I say, "Oh, no, not you."  I am running out of alternatives, and gonna have to do one of these eventually...  So many incompletes right now.   And I actually had a message yesterday from an out-of-towner who couldn't find his stuff and wondered if he had already brought it.  I didn't call back.  I'm not dealing with that.  Maybe he will forget where I am and find another preparer.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, jklcpa said:

I've actually completed a lot of work this week and it feels good. The last 2 weeks have been hell around here with one of my larger C corps in the midst trying to negotiate the sale of their business. It's been a lot of interruptions and I lost any motivation and momentum with my other work that has been piling up. Then this same client's attorneys started with the calls about the sale 2 days ago.

I got on a roll with some partnerships and personals and now have only a handful that are in that haven't yet been worked on. Everything else is either waiting on signature forms or have been printed and are ready for pickup.  Of course, there are still those that aren't yet in, and some new clients that I've agreed to accept at this late date that have yet to drop off. 

In other good news, I raised my prices this year by 10-15% and no one has complained.  I've started giving a small discount to those that are using the drop box and mentioning it to those that chose not to. I hope that will encourage more people to use it in future. I should have done that years ago.

Judy, giving a discount if they use the dropbox is a wonderful idea! I definitely am going to start doing that. The less time I have to talk to people, the happier and more productive I am. I'm as much at fault as they are, because so many of them have become dear friends over the years. Some of them have been with me since I was in college which was many moons ago.:lol:

• Like 6

8 hours ago, jklcpa said:

Rita, I had lots of returns that were 95% complete that have all been waiting for that last bit of information and was frustrated with the delays. They are finally getting done and yours will too.

Why do they always do that?  You had a good time with them, they take your number, say they are going to call, and you wait and wait.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, FDNY said:

Why do they always do that?  You had a good time with them, they take your number, say they are going to call, and you wait and wait.

And then you see them on a Turbo Tax commercial taking every deduckshun they can think of.  I am 500% done with dating I mean calling these inconsiderate excuses for taxpayers who are only interested in one thing:  a free tax return.

• Like 9

On 3/30/2016 at 4:49 PM, jklcpa said:

I've used a drop box for years. I think it is one of the best things I have ever done for my business as about 95% of my client take advantage of it. Then there"s the  5% who insist on sitting down and going through every single piece of paper...and it's the same ones every year. Anyways, I think it's a great ideal to give a discount to those who use the drop box. I will definitely consider it for next year!

• Like 2

I'm trying to be finished seeing most of them today. I'm trying to wean them from seeing me twice and having my husband help them with signing and paying. I'm getting really crabby and pretty much hate everyone thanks to some people that keep bugging me constantly about their returns. They should have gotten their crap to me sooner and they wouldn't be stuck behind the hard ones that came in earlier and take forever. 

Warning-Not tax, self-pitying Mom 

I guess I'm also crabby and depressed because my son will graduate from college on May 6, leaves on May 8 for his Airline Transport Pilot training in Atlanta for a week, comes back for a week and then leaves for Salt Lake City for 5-6 weeks training on the CRJ that he will be flying. I'm not able to spend much time with him, because of taxes and it's really getting to me.  After he's finished training we may seen him a few days this summer, but then he will be moving to his hub, which he hopes is Colorado Springs. I'm so happy for him, but he is my only child and we have always been close. It's going to suck! I have much older step-children, but they have their own lives and we don't see them that much. Thanks for listening. I can cry here and no one can see me. LOL

• Like 6