ATX Community

Rita B - How far are you from Cleveland TN?

BulldogTom

When the kids are done with college, we are thinking about leaving California.  All of my family has left (AZ, OH, VA and CO), and the kids are probably not going to stay in this area after they graduate (oldest is interviewing for a job in the DC area).  I don't really like the political and social scene in California anymore.  I would like to go somewhere that has a little more "common sense" and has a government treats people with a little more respect.  The one time I went to Nashville for some training, I fell in love with the place.  I just drove around looking at all the water, green grass, nice large lots, and cheap housing prices.  I think I could do that as I grow old.  When my mom moved to Richmond, she could not believe how polite and nice the people were. 

Nothing eminent, but I did see that job and it got me thinking about what it would be like to live in the south.

Tom
Newark, CA

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BulldogTom said:

I wonder how my lack of an accent would play in TN?  Or if they would think I have an accent? 

Do they say "Y'all" in TN or is that just a Texas thing?

Tom
Newark, CA

It's a Tennessee thang, too.  We'll help you, Tom.  We've seen yer kind.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lion EA said:

You may have to work a little harder on your accent.

I can get any accent within a day, good enough to fool natives in anything but a protracted conversation.  Except Italian.  I grew up hearing that ALL the time and it just does not register in my brain.  Somehow I grew up speaking English with no accent (Italian or Bostonian) and was made fun of in school for "talking funny" I kid you not.

And for @FDNY we could use Massatuckians, or the more-common-around-here "Massholes" although that usually refers to drivers (not me!).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, FDNY said:

Do you also welcome former New Yorkers and Massachusetts-ites  (Catherine, help me out here) to your beautiful tax-free state?

Yes, you are welcome here, too, Bill!  Catherine, all, y'all.  And can you imagine the fun we'd have if we on this board were in the same office???

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, RitaB said:

Yes, you are welcome here, too, Bill!  Catherine, all, y'all.  And can you imagine the fun we'd have if we on this board were in the same office???

Thank you Rita, that would be great, a lot of laughs and probably won't get a lot of work done except  you'll have extra help making your backyard garden look beautiful.

I'll start stocking up now on Jello and Robitussin.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2016 at 0:10 PM, BulldogTom said:

I was looking at a job board yesterday, and a job in Cleveland TN popped up.  How far is that from you and what is that area like?

Tom
Newark, CA

Betty Sue and Jerome were from Tennessee and they were real nice people.  Betty Sue would help you with any income tax problems you have if you move to Tennessee.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GeneInAlabama said:

Betty Sue and Jerome were from Tennessee and they were real nice people.  Betty Sue would help you with any income tax problems you have if you move to Tennessee.

Yeah, have not heard from Betty Sue in a long time.  I think she got hooked on warm corona and ran off with Chaz.

Tom
Newark, CA

• Like 3

On 4/2/2016 at 11:06 AM, BulldogTom said:

I wonder how my lack of an accent would play in TN?  Or if they would think I have an accent? 

Do they say "Y'all" in TN or is that just a Texas thing?

Tom
Newark, CA

Y'all is SOUTHERN, not any one state.  As CA keeps moving more extreme left, plus higher and higher tax, they are going to lose more of the people who actually pay those taxes, while the ones who live off the taxes keeps growing.  Not a healthy trend.  TN, TX and FL all look better all the time, with no state income tax and still better housing costs.  Plus friendly people.

• Like 2