ATX Community

MFS and SRP Questions Step 2 Line 1a

RitaB

Ok, I got a software thing with MFS and SRP Questions Step 2 Line 1a.  Only one person on the return.  She had non-compliant insurance, so I'm figuring SRP.  SRP Questions, Step 2, Line 1a has "2" for number of persons, and I have no idea where that 2 is coming from.  Any ideas?  I hate to override on ACA crap; I don't know what I don't know.  Yanno?

I was thinking on the way home, I bet it has to do with the return originating from duplicating the MFJ return.  I noticed that on Worksheet A, the husband, who is not on the MFS return, is still an option on Worksheet A.  Nothing is checked for him, but I bet that SRP Question about number of exemptions is linking to Worksheet A instead of 1040 line 6.  Will check it out Monday if I don't go by the office on the way to church tomorrow.  Carry on with your lives.

I recreated your scenario while watching the Big Bang Theory last night (thinking it would make me smarter) and I got the same result, could not get it back to 1 even after I deleted the record from worksheet A.  Went to bed and I think it came to me in a dream "remove the spouse's DOB".  Sure enough, that did it this morning.  Thanks for the tax dream.  Can't wait until after tax season so I could get back to dreaming about riding in a Corvette convertible touring the wine country in Napa Valley.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, FDNY said:

Just saw that Kristin did the same, that should complete your having a good weekend.

You and Kristin are geniuses!  I can't get on Official Forum from home computer because I'm not smart enough to write down my password.  I wanted to get on there and tell her my theory (which was wrong), but couldn't.  Thank you so much, Bill, for looking into a problem that wasn't yours.  I love my online office

It's a beautiful morning here.  I'm not looking at taxes, and after church and lunch, my daughter and soon-to-be daughter and I are watching my boys play church league basketball. I am a happy girl.

• Like 5

You were correct in your theory, they will be getting a form update out to fix the error you identified, but after the deadline.

BTW, I'll never forget how you eased my concern when I thought I made a mistake on an EIC return.  Had a tax nightmare seeing a $500 penalty.  Yes, this is a great online office.

Enjoy today, sounds like you'll be having a great day!

• Like 5

I'm on 2 other forums and rarely post there. When I'm on the internet, I leave a tab open to this site and pop in periodically throughout the day when I need a break between returns or when I'm frustrated. It helps to know others have similar struggles and successes that I'm going through.

• Like 7

I came to this board in 2013 but rarely posted as I thought I was busy enough on the official board keeping up.   I have recently found something here that is different, still the same knowledge and expertise but an informality that addresses all the other nuances of this business we are all thinking, experiencing, and wondering, can we be alone?  Not here, this is like therapy for tax professionals, helping each other, the comedy, and the best part,  the nice people....priceless!  Thanks, Bill

• Like 7