ATX Community

the age-old question - mac or pc

schirallicpa

It's time to buy a new one.  If I know me - i'll stick to pc because it will cost less.  But I have had some viruses this year and have been told by Mac users that they don't get viruses. And having my computer for the purpose of doing tax returns, thus having way too much personal information on my computer for 100's of people - well, that makes me nervous to think that someone might hack in.  Not that I don't use virus and spyware programs - which I had programs running and updated this summer when I got the virus that shut me down.  Come to find out, there were a number of viruses on my computer when we got it cleaned up.

The new windows 10 has not exactly left me feeling warm and cuddly with my computer.

Plus - of course, - my kids want me to get an apple.  They have grown up in the age of apple.  I grew up in the age of DOS, and Mac people did CAD.  

So - thought I'd post the question and see what anyone thought.  Thanks for your 2 cents.

Just one person's thoughts...

If you have an application which is important to you, will it run on an Apple product?  If not, and you choose an emulator to try to get it to work, you are using the emulator to pretend you are using a Windows box, negating any perceived or real advantage to using Apple, as well as adding an extra complication and failure point.

I do not create software for Apple because so few use them. Probably the same for nefarious programmers as well.  But, there are those that do... so the virus argument is invalid.

For me, it is never about the OS, the OS is simply a means to get to the application I need or want to use.

• Like 3

Yup, gonna have to agree with that.  Buy whatever your software requires.

The software I use on a daily basis is available for both MacOS and Windows, and I have both, and don't feel strongly about either of them--they've both got their pros and cons.

Apple hardware is well-built and has a price to match the fit and finish.  You'll find that most Windows computers of similar quality come at a similar price--the only difference is that Apple doesn't compete in the low-end of the market.

Lets say for the sake of argument that MacOS is inherently more secure than Windows.  It's not going to matter, because you'll be using Windows to run your tax software whether that's in a VM on top of MacOS, or running natively with BootCamp.

I will say that it's more common for Apple users to evangelize for them, and I think that mostly has to do with Apple not playing nicely with others.  You can't use Facetime or iMessage on Windows or Android, for example, because part of Apple's business model is to keep their users trapped within their ecosystem.

• Like 3

I agree with Eric - it depends on what you're doing.  I use both, but for different reasons.  If you just need the basics, then the PC is more than adequate.  My PC is great for routine stuff such as tax work, excel, word, etc.  

But when I want great quality graphics and sound, or when I need convenience & portability,  I go to the Mac and iPad.  For example, nothing beats Keynote for presentations as far as I'm concerned.  So each system has its place & purpose.  Cost is important but not the controlling factor - making every choice based on price reduces all your decisions to the lowest common denominator.

I have a Windows PC and use QB.  Clients who have Windows QB can make an accountants copy for me.  Clients who have Mac QB can convert the file to Windows but can't make an accountants copy.  These clients have to enter their own adjusting entries I give them as opposed to sending them an Accountant's Change file.  Unless QB has changed this from their Mac version recently.

18 minutes ago, Randall said:

I have a Windows PC and use QB.  Clients who have Windows QB can make an accountants copy for me.  Clients who have Mac QB can convert the file to Windows but can't make an accountants copy.  These clients have to enter their own adjusting entries I give them as opposed to sending them an Accountant's Change file.  Unless QB has changed this from their Mac version recently.

Intuit has chosen not to put resources into MAC versions due to the very small number of their clients that use them.  Hence the lack of functionality.  This should also be a noticeable fact when choosing a new computer.  If Intuit barely supports Apple, there must be a major underlying reason.

I stand by my recommendations.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Randall said:

There are lots of cases where something designed for the PC loses functionality on the Mac.  Excel for Mac is another good example. It works well overall, but some minor functions work differently on the Mac and those quirks can be very annoying in some cases. As has been stated - each has its own strengths and weaknesses.  The key is knowing which is which. 

"Knowledge tells us a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom consists of refusing to use it in a fruit salad." 

• Like 2