ATX Community

Quickbooks Complex Password requirement

Roberts

3 hours ago, SaraEA said:

Jack, let's hope no one kills you.  First things muggers usually take are wallets, jewelry and phones, now maybe lanyards.  And Catherine has a TWENTY SEVEN page list of passwords?  The internet as we know it has got to change.

Unless one of the members of Scorpion kill me and take my flash drive, I have no worries.

• Like 1

I just love that xkcd cartoon on passwords and have had it bookmarked since I first came across it.  

And that 27-page document I referenced above is as long as it is because it also contains the lists (where required) of all the *previous* passwords that cannot be re-used (all in strike-outs so I don't get confused), and notes for login procedures.  All the stupid bleeping "security questions" with answers, notes that this screen seems to want X but really needs Y or it won't load, don't use anything but Firefox here because the pages don't display properly...  et cetera.  

• Like 2

On 11/8/2016 at 2:37 PM, Medlin Software said:

Just thinking out loud... Having one password to access all other passwords makes the others moot.  Might as well just use the same one over and over, since all it takes is for the one to get compromised to gain access to all others.

Probably why two factor auth is preferred as a "real" security step.

Would I be comfortable with a list of passwords in a spreadsheet?  No, not unless in some sort of trusted online storage, accessible only with two factor auth.

Since the computer is fully encrypted plus the spreadsheet is encrypted and the folder it's held within is encrypted (with 3 different passwords), I'll risk it.

The backup for it is on an encrypted thumb drive and on an encrypted computer at my home where again.

It isn't like using the same password everywhere because my computer isn't the risk point.

• Like 1

It's only a problem for some people. 

I just read that back in March, J. Russell George, head of the IRS watchdog TIGTA (Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration), issued a report complaining (among other things) that many IRS keyboarders were using the word "password" as a password. He suggested a change to something stronger :wacko: (hmmm: maybe an upper case "P"?). No word yet on how it's playing out.