ATX Community

PTIN.ORG........Email Scam?

ETax847

Has anyone ever received the following email from ptin.org

Dear xxxx,

As a 2017 PTIN registrant located inxxxx, you have been selected to participate in a special program we offer to select tax professionals.
We hope you will consider participating in this program. This program will create your online reputation as the Best Rated Tax Professional in your area.
If you are interested in taking on more tax clients - either business or individuals, please read on.

We are currently looking for a Tax Professional in xxxxxx g to feature on Google as the "Best Rated 2017 Local Tax Preparer".
We would like to submit you to Google as the Best Preparer in your area.
In addition, we will also feature you on the home page of PTINdirectory.com and our mobile app, "Find the Best Tax Preparers".

We can guarantee that if you sign up you will get more clients online.
Here is why this program works:
When people search online or on their mobile phone for a Tax Professional - they naturally gravitate toward the "Best Rated Tax Preparer".
So if you're listed as the "Best" and have five star testimonials, you will naturally get the call before anyone else.
Your reputation online is enhanced with five star reviews provided.

Important: There are NO recurring monthly or annual charges to participate in this program!
There is no need for you to waste money on expensive Internet marketing programs - this program works.
We make it easy for new clients to find you online and on the mobile phone - guaranteed.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried this and what the results have been

--->  So if you're listed as the "Best" and have five star testimonials, you will naturally get the call before anyone else.
Your reputation online is enhanced with five star reviews provided. <---

Nice scam. 

Without knowing anything about you other than you can pay $279, they rate you as "Best" (whatever that means) and give you five-star reviews.

Do you see something fishy about this, or do you think phony testimonials are a good way to build trust with new clients?

Use word of mouth advertising.  If you want new clients, tell your best clients that you have space for a few good new clients.  Tell them you want more clients just like them, or in their profession, or in their neighborhood, or....  That way you stand a good chance of getting more clients like your best clients.  Referrals are better than strangers who find you online.

• Like 3

I've been getting emails from this place for a couple of years it seems.  I block the sender and the messages disappear for awhile and then reappear (just got one today).  I don't think they're a scam because I would hope they would have been shut down by now if they were.  Rather they are opportunists.  As FDNY said, they probably bought the list of contact info from IRS (I am SO angry that is allowed and we can't opt out) and are trying to capitalize on it.  You have to wonder, though, if they sell your PTIN on the dark web once you provide it.

They "provide" reviews?  How honest.  Anyone ever visited their website to see what the "reviews" say?  Are they the same for all entries?  Hard to imagine that taxpayers in need of a preparer could be suckered like that, but I bet a lot of people believe everything they find on the internet.

I'm perplexed how they got the address "dot org." Isn't that reserved for nonprofits?  I'm sure at $279 a pop they are making a tidy profit.  Hopefully not out of your pocket.

I got the same e-mail earlier in the year and an e-mail reminder that I had not yet responded and they still needed a preparer in my city to "recommend."

Not exactly a scam, but sort of like "Angie's List" where one of my business clients gets top billing every month by paying the list a fee of $913.00 per month.