ATX Community

Today's Turbo Tax Result....

Richcpaman

New Client, the new spouse of an existing client.

Sends me a copy of his 2015 tax return.  AGI $168k.

Refund of $3,300.  Looks good right?  Only one W-2, Sch A, 2106 and 6251.

The PDF was 140 Pages long....  140!

Sheesh.

However. 

He coded his $5,521 401(k) contribution as Code A instead of Code D.   Turbo Tax gladly picked it up as Uncollected SS and Medicare tax and had him pay it in the Uncle Sam.

In 140 pages of information, there was NOT ONE SINGLE THING ABOUT THIS entry.  I had to get his W2 to confirm it.

I have a client for life now.

:)

Rich 

• Like 10

Here is my theory. More detail is better than less. I had a previous client who now resides in Portugal serve on a jury for the IRS. He told me to NEVER stop reviewing the returns line for line with the client. Those who tried to use the excuse they didn't know what their preparer put on the return was not acceptable to the IRS. Bottom line, the client is responsible for every line on the tax return. I make sure they understand their return, where the information came from and receive the worksheet, statements and whatever else they need. They cannot say they didn't know. So I don't limit the number of pages and I do give them everything the software does provide simple because they are entitled to it. Last year I purchased a binding machine because I have too many clients with 100 plus pages in a return that I choose not to staple.

I cut my folder to make a nice cover for the bound documents. Looks professional and includes everything used to prepare the return. Their name and mf firm info is still visible through the cover.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

I encourage my clients to not take a paper copy. Viewing on a screen is in many ways superior to reading on paper.

AAAaaarrrrrggghhHHH !:spaz: ELECTRONISTAS! YOU'RE EVERYWHERE! YOURE EVERYWHERE! 

What's so bad about paper? Or newspapers? While I admit we no longer need it to wrap fish in; think of all the park-bench derelicts saved from freezing by this staple of bumdom.  Here's a list to help - I'm confident you'll be quite taken with these practical tips.  As a matter of fact, I have personal knowledge of one: while I was clerkin' at a cotton gin once, the press operator (who couldn't read or write) kept borrowin' my Wall Street Journal (I aspired to play the market). Curious about his avid interest in the GNP and such (he could maybe buy lunch), I asked, and he replied: "It saves on toilet paper." 

http://prepforshtf.com/16-uses-old-newspaper/

May you be confined to a space with no PDFs and lots of NCRs. 

• Like 3