ATX Community

Gift Limit

Christian

The person receiving the money never pays taxes. The person giving it is the one that has to file gift tax if he gave to any one person more than $14K.

So, technically if you give 30K to one person, you have to file a gift tax but since the uniform credit (sp) is in the millions, you will not pay taxes every if you estate when you die is less than 5M, I think.

• Like 1

My client gave their daughter $80k to help her and her husband buy a house... but my client is also on the deed. So, I took it as a purchase and not a gift. Haven't done the return yet. If they are on the deed, it's not a "gift" correct? I'm not sure if they are on the mortgage, but probably so.

I wouldn't say the donee never pay the gift tax.  If the donor doesn't pay it, the donee will be held liable.  That said, it's unlikely any gift tax will be due.  The unified exemption (lifetime gifts + what's left in the estate when the giver dies) is over $5.4 million ($10.9m MFJ).  Giving over $14k to one recipient in one year means a gift tax return will have to be filed, but that's just a way for the IRS to keep track of how much a person has gifted.  State lifetime limits may be lower, so check that out.  So many people think they can only gift $14k a year.  I always tell them they can give however much they want; if over $14k worse that can happen is that they have to pay me to file gift tax returns but they won't pay any taxes.  Unless, of course, they've already given over $5.4m.  That always brings on a smile.

Possi, your client has bought a portion of the house so not a gift.  Who's on the mortgage doesn't matter.  How many times have you seen divorced couples where one spouse gets the house but the mortgage company won't release the other spouse from the loan?  The poor guy or gal ends up being responsible for a loan for a home they don't even own anymore.

• Like 2