ATX Community

RE taxes on jointly owned property

Margaret CPA in OH

I'm not entirely sure about this situation.  Unmarried couple have jointly owned condo and joint checking account.  They file single but the one with little income wants the one with beau coup income to take entire re tax deduction.  Fair?  Proper?  Legal?  I can be persuaded either way (might have been a good debater, able to take either side :) ).

51 minutes ago, SaraEA said:

Who paid the mortgage?

Trickier than you might initially think.  OP said joint checking - so technically, all funds that go in there belong to both.  But it may also be that only one really funds the account, so you could also rightfully say it's the funder's money regardless of whose name(s) are listed.

The long and short of it, though, is if they both own, both liable for costs, then they can jointly decide who claims what.  As long as they agree, and no fraud of any kind is involved, that's copacetic.

• Like 2

EITC has no place at all in this scenario.  Both are retired and financially stable.  I was just asking about proper assignment of real estate taxes paid.  Thanks for all this input but I think we've come to a resolution, easier than I thought. 

Back to the really hard issues now - they always appear later in the season when we are crunched for time and brain power, right?

• Like 2