ATX Community

Looks Like ATX will be Availalble for 2008 & Community

joelgilb

Just spoke with someone in Sales at Taxwise and was told that they had a meeting just yesterday and according to this person, they have decided to continue the ATX tax software.

Now, I know that many of us have been concerned that this would not be the case, so looks like a little relief here.

I was also told that they have learned a few things since dealing with the ATX users. For one, they it seems that they will be bringing back the Community Board and adding a moderator, my guess is to deal with bashing most likely. Wonder if our constant emails to support, such as mine "BRING BACK THE COMMUNITY!", (no offense to this great board) had anything to do with it.

Hopefully they have also learned something about support as well.

So, we have a few options, and at least a short reprieve it looks like.

Joel

This is interesting news, indeed. They have done some other real damage, though. I subscribe to TaxMama and just received the following:

Yesterday was just crazy. We have a couple of people for whom we

need to prepare 2003 returns. And the 2003 ATX Max software we

were using just flat-out wouldn't work. And it wouldn't

uninstall so we could remove it and start over...and...anyway,

a quick, straightforward return ended up eating up the whole

morning. And I think I snapped at a couple of folks who happened

to call at just the wrong moment - just when ATX, which is now

owned by CCH /Wolters Kluwer - just got through telling us our

account is no longer supported. They have purged previous

customers from their database!

I haven't heard of a tax pro software house doing that - ever.

Whenever I've called a previous software house to get support

on prior software, they still had a record of us.

With so many more tax professionals helping people with unfiled

years, it's simply unconscionable for tax pro software houses not

to support prior year customers.

I don't know the extent of her subscribers, but I do believe in the adage, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!" I suspect this will turn out to be another blunder on the part of CCH!

If they are going to be here next year, I would hope for a simpler combination to the safe - er - My ATK. As I have said before, I have only been able to access the site twice and finally gave up. I can get in to the IRS efile site easier, even when I blow the password reminder.

I think the point was less that they no longer supported the 2003 program but that all previous clients were purged. I am fairly certain that most folks who use software that changes annually or even periodically loses support after the next 2 or 3 revisions. But purging all previous clients? That seemed harsh and certain that those previous clients would never become repeaters...or even wanted!

She was able to reinstall on another machine apparently, though.

Since they have DECIDED to continue the ATX tax software, that tells me that they were undecided before.

I caught that too. And given the "swiftness and decisiveness" of the CCH managment team, this decision could be changed at a moment's notice. That bulletin board is going to be useless if they put it up. There is no way they are going to let anyone put a negative comment about the product on that board. I for one would be kicked off within hours, I am sure.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I don't recall the old ATX community board moderator not allowing negative comments about the product or support. Of course the support was better then, but I think there were still occasional gripes about the product and support. I would rather say "that's great!", instead of "yeah, right..."

I've had another experience with a favorite software product being bought by a large foreign corp. I've been a DacEasy Accounting software "Certified Consultant" since 1990, and they were bought by Sage Software a few years ago. Sage bought lots of accounting software companies, including Peachtree. Sage made all the DacEasy CC's become Peachtree CC's as well, and for several years it looked very worrisome for us DacEasy people that Sage would kill the product. But, they didn't. They continued to develop and support it, and last year we sold a ton of updates. Suddenly DacEasy is a star at Sage this year. They're rebranding the product.

The moral is that the quality of the software and the dedication of the user base ultimately matters enough to make even bone-headed new owners aware that they have a good thing. I think the ATX product is quite good, and it seems the user base is very loyal.

I'm glad to hear reports that CCH is recognizing the value of what they bought, and making efforts to get back to some of the things that made it great to begin with, eg the in-house message board.

Neverthless, I'll be interested to see how they react when someone posts a link to this Forum on their in-house message board. I'm not predicting that they won't allow it, but it won't surprise me to see them delete any such posts. That will be the clue as to whether they believe it serves their best interests to have truly informed customers.

I don't recall the old ATX community board moderator not allowing negative comments about the product or support. Of course the support was better then, but I think there were still occasional gripes about the product and support. I would rather say "that's great!", instead of "yeah, right..."

Perhaps you forgot that they SHUT DOWN THE BOARD BECAUSE OF NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT CCH. That was a pretty good sign that they were not allowing negative comments. That is, after all, why we are all right here.

How soon we forget.

Tom

Lodi, CA

The moral is that the quality of the software and the dedication of the user base ultimately matters enough to make even bone-headed new owners aware that they have a good thing. I think the ATX product is quite good, and it seems the user base is very loyal.

Now this seems a good addition to this topic! Maybe if we stopped the negativity ourselves and gave CCH and Taxwise the feedback we want them to hear they will listen. Money talks people and they do finally seem to be listening. Let's not create a Self-Fulfilling prophecy and kill the product for them.

and as to

QUOTE (GeneInAlabama @ Mar 18 2008, 08:58 AM) *

Since they have DECIDED to continue the ATX tax software, that tells me that they were undecided before.

That is why I quoted the sales person I spoke with carefully, as clearly they were not certain what they were going to do. I will bet that someone from CCH or Taxwise is monitoring this community and hearing both our positive and negative comments. Let's all let them know what we want. I think the consensus out here is that virtually no-one is going to use CCH ProFx System or Taxwise. They don't want to lose a user base that they paid good money for.

Ok, I think I am being redundant here.

Joel

Perhaps you forgot that they SHUT DOWN THE BOARD BECAUSE OF NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT CCH. That was a pretty good sign that they were not allowing negative comments. That is, after all, why we are all right here.

How soon we forget.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Agreed they shut down the board for negative comments, but maybe they learned a lesson here. How many of you sent them suggestions and regular emails on there site, asking for the community back and the chat support? I for one sent them a minimum of one per week and still do. We need to let them know what they are doing wrong and why. They have a suggestion box link right in the My ATX area (and I know its harder to login that in the past, but we can learn here to, I did), use it religiously. " Quote from Rabbi Joel"

We also need to let them know that things like the community were really an integral part of the support we expected from the ATX product. We teach our clients everyday, now its time to teach CCH and Taxwise.

Rabbi Joel

I've had another experience with a favorite software product being bought by a large foreign corp. I've been a DacEasy Accounting software "Certified Consultant" since 1990, and they were bought by Sage Software a few years ago. Sage bought lots of accounting software companies, including Peachtree. Sage made all the DacEasy CC's become Peachtree CC's as well, and for several years it looked very worrisome for us DacEasy people that Sage would kill the product. But, they didn't. They continued to develop and support it, and last year we sold a ton of updates. Suddenly DacEasy is a star at Sage this year. They're rebranding the product.

Speaking of DacEasy (I remember it well), anybody heard what happened to Paccioli Accounting and how to get a copy. I have a client that has a need for a copy.

Joel

Rabbi Joel,

I appreciate your point of view, but I am not buying it. CCH will want to keep us because they paid for us, but they have not shown any inkling that they will treat us with respect. Negative comments about the software, if listened to, result in better software, because the company takes the situation that caused the criticism, examines it, and tries to improve the software experience for the customer.

CCH has not even acknowledged their backhanded add on charges for bank products. They screwed up the MyATX login without telling everyone what they were doing. They changed bundled packages without telling anyone. And they cut support staff for our product, which is our livelyhood, right at the beginning of the tax season.

Remember how they put on the William Tasker dog and pony show on this board to calm the masses after they fired all the MAX support techs? Where is sweet willie now? On his way to the unemployment office! They used him to keep all of us from asking for our refunds. You think they did not know that they were still in the 30 day window and a ton of us would have jumped?

The management of CCH is going to have to do much more than "say" they are going to keep the product and add a shell of a monitored board to earn any type of redemption for the mountain of distrust they have created. I don't believe a single word that comes from them.

I am really holding out for Mel to pull off the miracle for next year. I want a company I can trust to partner with. I am not drinking any of the CCH kool Aide.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I too am hoping Mel can pull off a miracle . And I know everything CCh did and have been one that has bashed them here and in their suggestion box for it.

Coca Cola learned when they changed to New Coke what their customers really wanted maybe CCH can also. But only if we keep on them and educate them.

Joel

Joel,

How much do you want to bet that there will be all these really good sounding releases from CCH about how then have big plans for ATX next year, and it will come right before the early renewal period begins? All the BS veiled promises will come out about how they have no plans to discontinue MAX or the other product lines. Just sign right up for next year.

BTW - are you really a Rabbi? A Rabbi who does taxes, lives in Las Vegas, and has an avatar that looks like Orville Redenbacher strikes me as a funny combination.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I have been biting my tongue about this 'announcement' because I fear that you all will think I am trying to cause a mass exodus. Unfortunately, I can't seem to keep my mouth shut and think back to the statements right before the end of the year about how nothing will change and then voila, there it is.

Tom, things are progressing, but not as fast as I would hope. I wanted to have a test version for people to comment on by now, but I am not going to let anything out there that crashes every other time I hit print. Eventually I will be able to work full time on it and should be able to find/eradicate the bug, but for now that is limited to a few hours a day plus the weekends. A month from now and you all will have more time on your hands anyways.

Joel, if I recall correctly, there was a small connection between Paciolli and DacEasy. I recall that the developers of the two products started out together and then later split, hence two products. My memory is kind'a fuzzy about that, if I ever did really know. When I came to DacEasy in 1989 they were well established, (on Version 3), and Paciolli was already about gone.

If you could find a Paciolli package you'd have to have to have a pretty old machine to run it on. It'd be interesting to see the tech specs on the package. Probably DOS 3.0, and an 8088 processor. I can't imagine what circumstances would constitute a "need" for that software.

I have a Kaypro II w/ CPM, and an Toshiba T4500, w/ a 486 & DOS 5.0. Sorry to get so far offtopic.

Rabbi Joel,

I appreciate your point of view, but I am not buying it. CCH will want to keep us because they paid for us, but they have not shown any inkling that they will treat us with respect. Negative comments about the software, if listened to, result in better software, because the company takes the situation that caused the criticism, examines it, and tries to improve the software experience for the customer.

CCH has not even acknowledged their backhanded add on charges for bank products. They screwed up the MyATX login without telling everyone what they were doing. They changed bundled packages without telling anyone. And they cut support staff for our product, which is our livelyhood, right at the beginning of the tax season.

Remember how they put on the William Tasker dog and pony show on this board to calm the masses after they fired all the MAX support techs? Where is sweet willie now? On his way to the unemployment office! They used him to keep all of us from asking for our refunds. You think they did not know that they were still in the 30 day window and a ton of us would have jumped?

The management of CCH is going to have to do much more than "say" they are going to keep the product and add a shell of a monitored board to earn any type of redemption for the mountain of distrust they have created. I don't believe a single word that comes from them.

I am really holding out for Mel to pull off the miracle for next year. I want a company I can trust to partner with. I am not drinking any of the CCH kool Aide.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Joel,

How much do you want to bet that there will be all these really good sounding releases from CCH about how then have big plans for ATX next year, and it will come right before the early renewal period begins? All the BS veiled promises will come out about how they have no plans to discontinue MAX or the other product lines. Just sign right up for next year.

BTW - are you really a Rabbi? A Rabbi who does taxes, lives in Las Vegas, and has an avatar that looks like Orville Redenbacher strikes me as a funny combination.

JOEL's response

I think I need to respond to 2 of your posts in more detail.

First I am not really a Rabbi, but an attorney and a CPA. The Rabbi comment was a joke since I made the comment in my previous post "use it religiously".

Second, I honestly don't have a lot of faith that they will do what is needed. Still I think it is important that they hear things like your comments in this post that they need to listen to negative comments. Now, that said, there is a big difference between constructive negative comments and bashing. We are an intelligent group of individuals here that should know how to give constructive criticism rather than bashing them. I would hope that they would not delete that, but respond accordingly.

The MyATX login does work, although it is and was a pain in the butt! And it adds no additional security for us, but for them. Nuff said there.

As for cutting support staff, I was as angry as anyone about that and what they did to William. I have sent them suggestion after suggestion constructively complaining about this one. The way they did it and the timing was just wrong. However, as a business man, you can not fault them for doing what it takes to try and save the business they purchased. Everyone makes mistakes, and they made more than their fair share of them. Now I hope that they learn from them, but I agree with you, in that I don't think they will.

Third, I was the one that started the post to look for alternative software.

As for Mel I am 100% behind his effort and hope and pray that he can do this. He has a monumental task!. Like a few others out here, I agreed that if he can the answer may be to purchase both ATX and Mel's product to give Mel some extra time to build a product with the sophistication and completeness that we have come to expect from the ATX product. CCH are you listening????

At any rate, let's not sink to the level that they did in dealing with this.

Joel

I have been biting my tongue about this 'announcement' because I fear that you all will think I am trying to cause a mass exodus. Unfortunately, I can't seem to keep my mouth shut and think back to the statements right before the end of the year about how nothing will change and then voila, there it is.

Tom, things are progressing, but not as fast as I would hope. I wanted to have a test version for people to comment on by now, but I am not going to let anything out there that crashes every other time I hit print. Eventually I will be able to work full time on it and should be able to find/eradicate the bug, but for now that is limited to a few hours a day plus the weekends. A month from now and you all will have more time on your hands anyways.

I think we are all with you Mel, myself included. If you need another beta tester, I would be happy to help.

Joel

Joel, if I recall correctly, there was a small connection between Paciolli and DacEasy. I recall that the developers of the two products started out together and then later split, hence two products. My memory is kind'a fuzzy about that, if I ever did really know. When I came to DacEasy in 1989 they were well established, (on Version 3), and Paciolli was already about gone.

If you could find a Paciolli package you'd have to have to have a pretty old machine to run it on. It'd be interesting to see the tech specs on the package. Probably DOS 3.0, and an 8088 processor. I can't imagine what circumstances would constitute a "need" for that software.

I have a Kaypro II w/ CPM, and an Toshiba T4500, w/ a 486 & DOS 5.0. Sorry to get so far offtopic.

You are correct that some of the developers of DacEasy created Paccioli, might have been the founder after he sold DacEasy.

As for the machine that this runs on, I believe it is an older DOS only machine. The friend/client that uses it is a small local RE Title company. I have been trying for years to get him to port his accounting over to one of the more modern software programs, but he insists that that Paccioli does some things that the others can't. He uses it to keep track of not just the companies income and expenses, but commissions earned by his attorney title agents, myself included.

He believes that Paccioli made a Windows version prior to closing its doors and was hoping to get a copy of that before his DOS machine dies aa natural death.

Joel

You are correct that some of the developers of DacEasy created Paccioli, might have been the founder after he sold DacEasy.

As for the machine that this runs on, I believe it is an older DOS only machine. The friend/client that uses it is a small local RE Title company. I have been trying for years to get him to port his accounting over to one of the more modern software programs, but he insists that that Paccioli does some things that the others can't. He uses it to keep track of not just the companies income and expenses, but commissions earned by his attorney title agents, myself included.

He believes that Paccioli made a Windows version prior to closing its doors and was hoping to get a copy of that before his DOS machine dies aa natural death.

Joel

I'm NOT a rabbi or an attorney, but I play BOTH on TV.

Booger