ATX Community

Windows 10

Marie

I understand I have to install windows 10 for this year's tax software to work properly.  Is this going to impact my other programs?   I am not changing computers.

Any things I need to take notice of, any info would be helpful.  Has anyone had lots of problems?

ALL PROGRAMS make changes to the registry but not all of them need to be removed and reinstalled. Before you upgrade, run the pre-upgrade tools and you will see where you will have issues.

I was going to pay $199 to have a Windows 10 license for the upgrade. I added another 1K and I got a nice DELL computer that is fast.  I don't like to upgrade per se because of other lingering issues.

I went to the old computer, backed up all my returns and all other stuff and I installed ATX 2018 on the new one and restored the back up. I will then install ATX 2019 and I should be OK. If people lost their tax return copies for 2017 or before, 1-800-829-1040 or if they are nice clients, I will boot up my windows 7 machine and connect with centronics to my printer.

• Like 2

Besides third party software compatibility, another consideration is the age of your computer and its hardware, drivers, and peripherals, and whether or not all of those will be compatible and fully functional after an upgrade.  I don't ever upgrade the OS of an existing, older computer for this reason but will try using older printers or scanners with subsequent newer computers.

• Like 5

Agree 99.99% on getting a new computer vs updrading to the lastest OS.  Here is my current step up:

Computer 1: 2006 to 2010 ( in storage)

Computer 2: 2010 to 2014 (in storage)

Computer 3: 2014 to 2018 (will keep on hand, SSD) 

Computer 4: 2016 to 2019 (brand new Dell XPS business machine with an SSD)

• Like 3