ATX Community

PRICES

BLACK BART

What does everybody charge for 1099s/W-2s/941s/940s/unemployment/state w/h, all reconciliations, so on and so forth?  Done in a fit of rage after chasing down SSNs and a mare's nest of forms and numbers that were lost, misplaced, or eaten by cannibals, I sent somebody a bill saying "Year-end taxes-$800" without bothering to itemize it.  They might leave over it, but have you ever lumped it all in one pot?  (Should cost at least $500 under normal circumstances).

P.S. If you intend to criticize, be gentle (it's been a bad week).

I feel your pain.  Been there, lost (thankfully) a client and didn't look back.  Normally I do itemize a bit, more than one line item.  At least I separated out year-end vs. quarterly forms but I also used to keep track when done.  Otherwise, hang tight.  We can't fix stupid and we can't do the work of our clients, in my opinion. 

I hope you are able to enjoy a little down time this weekend and perhaps an adult beverage or four. 😀

I generally will not take on 1099's or W2s from a client who I don't do the tax return for.   Just not worth it to me.   For my business clients, I prepare the 1099's for free if I do the bookkeeping (it is loaded into the price I charge for bookkeeping).   If I don't do the bookkeeping and just the tax return, I charge a nominal amount (like $25) if the W9's are available.   If I have to chase the w9's, I charge more.  For most of my bookkeeping and business clients, it is the same contractors every year so it is not a big deal to produce the forms.   I just consider it customer service.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 2

I charge $25 per payroll tax form, $25 for 1096/W3 plus $10 for each 1099/W2 form if the client provides all of the information and everything can be filed online.  If I have to run down a bunch of information then I charge an hourly rate for the leg/investigative work.

• Like 1