ATX Community

Appropriate to contact clients?

Margaret CPA in OH

Several long time clients have not yet returned engagement letters or contacted me about returns.  One already said he did his own for free so not returning (his situation has finally gotten very simple, so all good).  My plan has been to allow natural attrition so I'm quite okay with some leaving but it would be nice to know sooner rather than April 15 when I have heard nothing.  With long time clients, I stress out for them whether or not they know it.  Of course it isn't even the ides of March yet, but I am getting a little stressed about some of them  What, if anything, do you folks do?

I zip an email and say something like, "If you have not already filed your tax return and still want me to prepare it, please let me know."

Many times, they are gone. But if they are coming back, that usually gets a response. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for replies.  This is the first time I can recall that there isn't a fairly steady stream.  I will be patient for at least another week.  I know I have a few appointments to finish up next week but nothing in the pipeline after that except a major client who has already sent in the engagement letter but will be in FL until early April and waiting on K-1's for 2 clients. 

I decided to go for natural attrition but renewed my license for 3 more years.  Guess I'm just a little nervous about too much attrition too soon!

• Like 1

I spun off all my businesses a few years ago when my part-time CPA and friend retired.  I didn't want to pick up the bookkeeping and payrolls or returns.  And one of my bigger folks emailed me about 10 minutes ago.  They have moved over the years to 3 different states and stuck with me.  She's a pretty well paid doctor with a musician husband who was stay at home dad.  I'm very happy to hear from her!

• Like 3

I am having the same issue with a few people. With all of the medical issues in my family, and new ones that have cropped up, I did not get out all of my normal annual letters. I did get the organizers out late, but I haven't heard from a few people. They are mostly easy ones, so they may have prepared their own. I have been trying to decide if I should call them to let them know that I am still around. I think that asking if they want an extension is a good idea. Thanks!

• Like 1

If you don't ask for the sale...

While my situation is different, I do ask, several times, if someone is late in ordering.  Every message has instructions for opting out  I also send out order messages in batches, to somewhat control the number which come in at the same time.  I can also send reminders based on the date of prior order if needed.

Example:  First reminders to customers who regularly order early.  Next batch to those who sometimes order early, but are usually in the second wave.  Next to those who order at the last minute.

• Like 3