ATX Community

Memory Problem HELP!!!

williamtyler

So after about an hour of prep time.  The computer program ATX start to slow down and while checking the return it shows not responding.  Takes a bit..then works after about 15 seconds.

As time goes on into hour 2 It slows even more.  About hour 3 the program will just shut down and kick me out of whatever I was.  When I click the icon to restart it does nothing I must re-boot the entire computer.

As well when printing in hour 2-3 I will get a message the program has encountered an error and the program must close.....same thing it shuts down and I must re boot the computer.

It is a memory issue and I have contacted ATX 7 times over the last 5 weeks.  They have added the large address app and still no change.  This has happened before in prior years and someone just does the "Log me in" thing where they take control go into the Admin Console and change my memory settings to be higher that the default and....It works....Again 7 time's I call support no one knows what I am talking about and the lst answer was it was kicked up to development.  Then I receive an email with my case number saying the issue was closed.....Uh.>>>no>>>>never fixed issue.

I call each morning around 8AM EST and its the same thing...I cant be the only one having this problem..Anyone have a fix for this?  My computer itself has 64GB of Ram...and 16 Processors...Totally not on my end....Need Help with this.  to re-start the computer 5 times in a 10 hour day is crazy....Oh and after each call they tell me I need a level 4 supervisor...he will call at 8am...Never calls...twice that happened.  I just cant take a call in the middle of the day folks...its Game time...Tax Time...ughhh

20200310_100610.thumb.jpg.ec69e8af2db0526c5040e4586eba964b.jpg

Edited by jklcpa
edited photo to hide client names

You seem to have two clients opened. I have never seen a computer with 16 processors, so I will assume that's a typo.

If I am not mistaken, they are making your page file bigger and if you have 64G of RAM, that will make the computer slower. I would go to msconfig click on start up and disable every single entry there.

Also, look on your startup folder and take out anything that starts automatically.  My last advice would be to get another computer for your personal entertainment or communications and use this one as a tool.

The solution is simple. Close and reopen ATX as soon as you notice a little slowing. I never work on one return for more than half an hour before I close that return and reopen that return (not the program). And I never work in ATX for more than two hours before I close and restart ATX.

I would assume that ATX added the correct atx.exe files to Large Address Aware, but if I were you, I would run LAA and see what files are in there and if both columns (Advanced tab) are set to True.

345156070_LAAScreenshot.jpg.ef9f15b4981e1805c0e873cb36edbdaf.jpg

I guess I continue to be lucky. I have never had any ATX issues and I have only closed and restarted the application a couple of times in the past 10+ years.  I do shut down everyday and barely ever I open two clients at the same time.  Also, I never add another program or application to help ATX and I only use my computer for work. Last year my Windows 7 machine took about 15 minutes from the moment I pressed the power button until the time I could input data on ATX... changing to Windows 10, 16G of RAM and SSD has changed those 15 minutes to less than 2 minutes.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 2:47 PM, Abby Normal said:

Please don't call. It's been this way for years, and will never be fixed. Leave the phone lines open for those who really need it.

I have used ATX since the beginning and this is the first year this has happened to me.  I have a up to date computer with SSD  16g

but since Windows 10 I now have printing problem.  Don't know if I have the large address thing.  But yes I need this to be fixed.  Way too slow of a process that I shouldn't have to deal with.

4 hours ago, grandmabee said:

I have used ATX since the beginning and this is the first year this has happened to me.  I have a up to date computer with SSD  16g

but since Windows 10 I now have printing problem.  Don't know if I have the large address thing.  But yes I need this to be fixed.  Way too slow of a process that I shouldn't have to deal with.

What don't you try this: Make your default printer a pdf printer and select the printer each time you print. Do it for a couple of days and see if it makes a difference.

• Like 1