ATX Community

Clients can be jerks

Roberts

I don't know how people bill in short time increments at all.  Don't you spend so much time keeping track of time that it's hard to get any work done?  We try to keep track of our time but actually bill clients by complexity.  I start a return, get two must-take phone calls, a client or two drop in with docs and questions, the printer jams, a colleague needs help, the boss drops in to vent or tell a joke....  Three hours later how do I know how much time I devoted to the return on my desk?  And did I have to keep track of the time spent on those calls or drop ins to bill those clients?  Do you keep a stop watch on your desk?  I once got the probate filings for an estate, and the attorney's bill actually listed the time spent on opening the mail. 

I am really curious about how those of you who bill in short time intervals do it.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Sara EA said:

I don't know how people bill in short time increments at all.  Don't you spend so much time keeping track of time that it's hard to get any work done?  We try to keep track of our time but actually bill clients by complexity.  I start a return, get two must-take phone calls, a client or two drop in with docs and questions, the printer jams, a colleague needs help, the boss drops in to vent or tell a joke....  Three hours later how do I know how much time I devoted to the return on my desk?  And did I have to keep track of the time spent on those calls or drop ins to bill those clients?  Do you keep a stop watch on your desk?  I once got the probate filings for an estate, and the attorney's bill actually listed the time spent on opening the mail. 

I am really curious about how those of you who bill in short time intervals do it.

Well, I work for myself without employees so its a lot easier for me. Also, I don't usually interrupt a current work project to take phone calls and try to work straight through a block of time on a project. I don't charge for quick phone calls either and only keep track if the call is lengthy. 

When I worked in firms, I did have to write it all down and kept the timesheet or my appt book handy.   Doing it all at the end of the day would have been a chore and would have missed some things.  It's just something we all got used to.

• Like 1

My memory does not work well from tax season to tax season so I am always too nice the next year - especially with those that call and "ask are they done yet?" , "I have more info" - after they are done, etc..

so I started today putting an asterick by their name! for an increased fee...

• Like 2