ATX Community

I havn't filed for ten years.

Elrod

Distant relatives call and tell me they havn't filed their tax returns for ten years.

They want me to fix it for them at a 1,124 mile seperation.

I'm kinna busy right now.....and my fishing season starts April 16th.

Do I have to...? :lol:

Other excuses appreciated....

Spose if I was a chef, They'd want a free meal.....Or a cookie.

Tell them they won't get the rebate if they owe for any of those years, and they'll probably drop it.

The rebate is probably why they've decided to file anyhow - people just love getting "free money".

As for excuses, use the same one I use for all my clients who resist filing an extension at this time of the year - "You don't want me doing your return under deadline pressure - too many chances for a mistake." It helps if you look & sound really tired when you say this to them.

The rebate is probably why they've decided to file anyhow - people just love getting "free money".

Had a guy come in yesterday, with his copy of 2006 return that he had not yet filed because he was working on getting SSN's for his new wife's three kids. (He told me leave the lines for SSN's blank, I'll fill the numbers in when I get them.) The REBATE is his big concern now. What do I do? Will I miss it? (Never mind the $1400 refund amount on the return.) Reminds me of the phone tax refund. People had no clue what their basis in $100,000 of mutual fund sales was, but they had the whole article available for me on the $30 phone tax refund deal.

>>They want all ten years done for...FREE<<

Well, of course you WANT to help the family. Blood's thicker than inkjet toner, etc. Besides, you have a professional interest in expanding your skills with other states, don't you?.

Not only should you not charge for the basic tax preparation, you should give them half off your normal rep fees (which start at $2500 plus $50 for each year of the P.O.A.). Because either the IRS is already after them or you need to immediately invoke the non-filer program to avoid criminal charges for a willful failure to comply with tax laws when filing brings it to their attention (in either case add $250 for an expedited response) . Oh, and even though the personal tax prep is free, you of course can not offer that for any business or investment issues like Schedule B, C, D, or E., nor for the additional pricing required for prior year returns, which is approximately 100% of the regular fee.

I know you are uncomfortable nickel and diming a relative like that, so just sum it up with a request for a $3500 retainer (or however much you need for your new computer system) stapled to the P.O.A.s. Then call the practitioner's help line for a 120-day hold, to earn that expedite fee.

Here are a few ideas, if you have caller ID do not answer when you see their number come up.

Go ahead and answer "Joe's Pizza shop, may I take your order?"

Or I like the answers from above ask for a large retainer....$2,500-$3,500.

You might also, just to satisfy my curiosity, ask them why after 10 years they have decided to file.

You could also explain that if there are balances due there will interest and penalties and that will be substantial.

If all else fails, tell them that you are no longer doing taxes, you are going to truck driver school and will soon hit the open road.