ATX Community

>EIP Payments

Christian

I am sure many here are worn out with these payments. The clients being unsure of whether they got them. "Yes I got them" and then the call after the return is filed " I just got a check for $600." Clearly they had not got all of what was due. My question today concerns a married couple one of whom dies in 2018 whose date of death appears on the 2019 filing. Does the surviving spouse receive an EIP1 of $2400 in 2020 and then an EIP2 of $600 in 2021. This has recently come up and to the best of my understanding this is correct but I am not any authority on this so best to compare notes. In this particular situation the 2019 tax filing would surely have arrived after the payments began being mailed.

If spouse died in 2018, then the two 2020 RRC1 and RRC2 would be based on just the surviving spouse, so $1,200 + $600. Same with EIP3 $1,400 that will be reconciled on the 2021 return in 2022. Surviving spouse may have received more than entitled to if EIP1 and EIP2 were based on 2018 return, but that doesn't change his/her 2020 return.

I am glad for the clarification. The surviving spouse herself died in May of last year and her son the executor thinks she got no payment first or second. She would have been entitled to $1800 total. I told him his mother's financial advisor will simply have to find out whether she got them or not. I have neither the time or inclination to wet nurse him this time around.😄

On 3/22/2021 at 4:46 PM, Possi said:

I have asked every. single. client. 

Every. Single. One. 

So tired of this...

Doncha just love the ones that answer "we got a debit card, but thought it was a scam and shredded it - now what do we do?"  Right along with "I got a check and it got put in the recycling pile by accident - now what do I do?"  At least those are a bit more creative than "I dunno."

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Catherine said:

Doncha just love the ones that answer "we got a debit card, but thought it was a scam and shredded it - now what do we do?"  Right along with "I got a check and it got put in the recycling pile by accident - now what do I do?"  At least those are a bit more creative than "I dunno."

It would be tolerable if I didn't do such volume. 

• Like 2