ATX Community

Hand Sanitizer, Masks, Sanitizing Wipes, etc

JohnH

1 minute ago, JohnH said:

Listening to today's news, now I'm wondering how many clients are going to be keeping every receipt for hand sanitizer, masks, sanitizing wipes, etc because IRS announced today these are deductible as medical expenses.  

Thank you for sharing the good news.  The first client that comes with a bag of receipts from masks, etc will be fired.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Like telling teachers they can deduct PPE as their $250 above the line. I never met a teacher who didn't spent over $250 already, before PPE became a necessity. Politicians making their voters happy and leaving it up to us to explain how it doesn't benefit them at all.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, JohnH said:

Listening to today's news, now I'm wondering how many clients are going to be keeping every receipt for hand sanitizer, masks, sanitizing wipes, etc because IRS announced today these are deductible as medical expenses.  

This seems unfair to those of us who were taught to rub some dirt in it. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lion EA said:

Like telling teachers they can deduct PPE as their $250 above the line. I never met a teacher who didn't spent over $250 already, before PPE became a necessity. Politicians making their voters happy and leaving it up to us to explain how it doesn't benefit them at all.

Spot on.  For most people, they would need to have purchased a significant amount for it to potentially benefit them even a little.  Not to mention, they would need to itemize to begin with.

• Like 3

I'll bet sooner or later we will have this conversation with someone:

CLIENT:  I've got $300 worth of receipts for masks & stuff we can take above the line.

PREPARER: That won't help.  You're confusing masks & stuff with contributions.

CLIENT:  But my hairstylist said...

PREPARER:  Sorry, your hairstylist is wrong.

CLIENT:  (S)he's pretty smart about this stuff. Can you look it up again, just to be sure?

• Like 6