ATX Community

How much do you charge for a re-do

schirallicpa

When the client has an amount due, I have learned to hold off on hitting that efile button until the fat lady sings. This time it paid off. Client is partnership with 2 partners and their corresponding personal returns. So 3 returns in all. They showed a significant profit on the 1065 this year. And lo and behold, they found that they had forgotten to give me some 20K of expense.

So these are not amended returns, because I never sent the efile. But.... this is quite a pile of papers being generated here! For the 2nd time.

What do you charge?

When the client has an amount due, I have learned to hold off on hitting that efile button until the fat lady sings. This time it paid off. Client is partnership with 2 partners and their corresponding personal returns. So 3 returns in all. They showed a significant profit on the 1065 this year. And lo and behold, they found that they had forgotten to give me some 20K of expense.

So these are not amended returns, because I never sent the efile. But.... this is quite a pile of papers being generated here! For the 2nd time.

What do you charge?

I generally add a 50% re-do charge for a "substantial" rework (as this obviously was). If it's a matter of one 1099-DIV or something that got forgotten, I'll generally let it go. Although any discount they may have earned either gets lessened or discarded in that event.

Catherine

I agree with 50%. Make 'em learn from their error. But...I re-did one simple return this year because client forgot to tell me he'd received $5000 unemployment. He offered me a cooked pot pie if I had it done in 15 minutes. I took 30, but he brought me this huge and scrumptuos pot pie. Helped me eat and get back to work. Whatever works for you, I guess.