ATX Community

Education Expense

indyscott

Sheepishly ashamed to admit that last year I did a return for a couple who paid son's college tuition, and I failed to manually add the 8863 for Lifetime learning credit. I did put the tuition payments on line 35 as an adjustment, but I guess when I tried putting the x's in the boxes to see which box gave the highest refund on the return, I didn't realize that the program doesn't automatically add the form for the Lifetime learning credit, so.. the L35 adjustment of course provides a higher refund. This year, I'm doing it and trying to see why is their refund so high this year compared to last.. oh,.. it's because I messed up last year.

So, now I have an ethical dilemma. S/ I self disclose my error from last year, and do a n/c 1040x for them (to get about $1,000 extra refund), or s/ I keep my mouth shut, and hope they don't discover it themselves...

Sheepishly ashamed to admit that last year I did a return for a couple who paid son's college tuition, and I failed to manually add the 8863 for Lifetime learning credit. I did put the tuition payments on line 35 as an adjustment, but I guess when I tried putting the x's in the boxes to see which box gave the highest refund on the return, I didn't realize that the program doesn't automatically add the form for the Lifetime learning credit, so.. the L35 adjustment of course provides a higher refund. This year, I'm doing it and trying to see why is their refund so high this year compared to last.. oh,.. it's because I messed up last year.

So, now I have an ethical dilemma. S/ I self disclose my error from last year, and do a n/c 1040x for them (to get about $1,000 extra refund), or s/ I keep my mouth shut, and hope they don't discover it themselves...

I would definitely do the amendment. Not only the ethical thing to do, but the goodwill it will generate could go a long ways.

I find it SO annoying that the program doesn't add the 8863!!

Yes, I've been caught by that too. You have to amend - the client will think more of you for it.

Think of it this way - how would you feel if it was your personal return? Wouldn't you want your preparer to be up-front with you? Wouldn't you want the extra $1000? Your client will be impressed that you did an extra review and admitted to being human.

I thought the education forms opened automatically so I tried it. They do. After you check one of the boxes, save the return and the associated form opens. If you've unchecked the "Open associated forms..." box checked in Return Manager - Options, Preferences, Open Return, they don't.

And if you jump from box to box on the Education Expense form and leave the wrong one checked? It must ba a Monday.

I thought the education forms opened automatically so I tried it. They do. After you check one of the boxes, save the return and the associated form opens. If you've unchecked the "Open associated forms..." box checked in Return Manager - Options, Preferences, Open Return, they don't.

And if you jump from box to box on the Education Expense form and leave the wrong one checked? It must ba a Monday.

This year, the 8863 opens automatically if you check that box....but last year I do not think it did.

I would just tell client that, in preparing this years return, you discovered an over-looked item from last year...and that you would gladly do a N/C amendment to get them some additional money.