ATX Community

SOLO 401K

Tracy Lee

• 2 years later...

I was using this worksheet and could not get ATX's calculation to match mine own.  Is the ATX worksheet not calculation a SOLO 401k? The "compute maximum allowable contribution" option #4 says 401k, not solo401k.  OR maybe my calucations are wrong, though I've cross-referenced with a few solo 401k calculators online and they match my calculation.

Here's a screenshot of ATX comparison to my calculation.  The retirement option at the top is #4 (401k).  Client doesn't qualify for catchup contributions.

image.thumb.png.7ffa758802f6987735a3737ec532dec8.png

1 hour ago, GLJEANNE said:

It's been too long since I've done one, but that's calculating a SEP.  There's no 25% limit on 401ks, except on the employer portion.

That was my thought.   Never done a Solo 401K so watching this thread to see how to record it in ATX.   I have my popcorn out .....

Tom
Longview, TX

• Like 2

5 hours ago, joanmcq said:

it could be that you are mixing elective contributions from another job with the SE calculator.  Off the top of my head.

I believe this is accounted for in this area.  ATX actually auto generates line 9 straight from the W2, box 12, Code D & E. But I tried putting in a ROTH 401k elective deferreal into the W2 data entry and it did NOT add to this amount so I'm even more baffled. 

image.png.5a7a458b6d152b80acd0c09ba0721eed.png

2 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

Thanks @Abby Normal As you can see, this matches my own calculation. 

image.thumb.png.8569f57215b432ad46229f43f8d6dbd5.png

Given this is the line (Line 16, Sch 1) is where you're supposed to put the SOLO 401k contributions, this only way I can see inputting it correctly without an override is to manually do the math myself and add it here. 

image.png.f272dd371abc684bbfc0fac884fb1d1f.png

If someone else figures it out, I'm all ears!

• Like 2

I do a separate calculation for the Solo 401(k) and keep it in the work papers file.  I then enter it in the 401(k) contribution line as shown above.  I haven't found any way to do it through ATX, and the complication (some of my people don't earn tons of income and still have Solo 401(k)s) of the catch-up and checking whether there is any eligibility for an 'employer' contribution, and then one guy has a day job where he defers, so there's that calculation ... I just need a spreadsheet, and then I have backup.

• Like 2