ATX Community

IT guy moving ATX payroll to new server

RCA

We currently have a Win2012R2 server that houses our ATX payroll from 2015-2022.

We built a new Win2019 server recently and our tax dept wants to transfer all of the data over to the new server.  They are telling me that we need to install 2015 payroll software, apply the 2015 license key, followed by 2016 payroll and key, etc....all the way to 2022 software and key.  That seems crazy to me, but I don't know the application.

I did read this post below which makes me think I don't have to do all of this.  It looks like I can copy the data files over from the old server to the new server, then install 2022 software/key.  But....I'm wondering if in order for the users to use or "see" the prior years data that the prior years software needs to be installed and that is why my tax people suggested the above.

Thank you for any help

29 minutes ago, RCA said:

Am I required to install the payroll software from 2015-2021 in order for the users to use/see the 2015-2021 data?

I think you are.   When I have replaced computers (not servers) in my practice over the years I have had to install the software for each year onto the new machine.   It makes sense to me that the programs need to be installed and the installation keys need to be entered for each year.   I am not a techie type person, so I could be wrong.

Are you copying any other software onto your server without having to re-install?   Is it only ATX that you are having this problem with?

Tom
Longview, TX

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BulldogTom said:

Are you copying any other software onto your server without having to re-install?   Is it only ATX that you are having this problem with?

ATX is the only software that will be on this server.

3 hours ago, RCA said:

Am I required to install the payroll software from 2015-2021 in order for the users to use/see the 2015-2021 data?

Yes. ATX is a database and the server must have the ATX software installed to make the database available to other users (AFAIK). And the other users will might need to point to the new database if the location is not identical.

• Like 1

I wouldn't go as far as keeping the payroll software back that many years.

However I would keep the following for each client/year:

1. Payroll Check History Detail

2. Quarterly Payroll Reports

3. Annual payroll reports

My past experience trying to keep that many years of ATX Software up and running was definitely an exercise in frustration!

However, I currently have 5 years of Drake currently up and running with zero problems

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

Yes. ATX is a database and the server must have the ATX software installed to make the database available to other users (AFAIK). And the other users will might need to point to the new database if the location is not identical.

I forgot to add, that you run the Admin Console program on each computer to locate the new database on the server.

• Like 1

When I upgraded from WIn2016 to Win2019, I copied all backup files of ATX and Payroll from 2013 to the new server. If you have a need to use Payroll from 2015 onwards, you will need to install the software, apply license keys for each year and restore from backup for each year.

I also have PDF copies of all 1099's, W2s and Qtrly reports so no issues.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DevM said:

When I upgraded from WIn2016 to Win2019, I copied all backup files of ATX and Payroll from 2013 to the new server. If you have a need to use Payroll from 2015 onwards, you will need to install the software, apply license keys for each year and restore from backup for each year.

I also have PDF copies of all 1099's, W2s and Qtrly reports so no issues.

You did it the hard, slow and inefficient way.