ATX Community

Computer bloatware

Abby Normal

It's always a good idea to have your computer running with as few other things in the background as possible. Programmers love to start crap you don't need running in the background. It's a constant struggle. This is the main reason I don't buy brand name computers.

I still use the old StartupMonitor program to alert me anytime some software wants to add an automatically started program, but you can also go into Services and look at the update programs and other things you don't need or want running 24/7.

• Like 4

Windows Task Manager is also a fair way to see what is running.

History and fact. Most of the issues with preloading and startup are user caused. What I mean is devs are inclined to preload to lower customer complaints about software startup speed. Same reason we (computer users) still, since Windows 3.1, have issues with lost data from power interruptions (disk caching enabled). Disk caching is when the OS loads memory with what it thinks can be safely handled later.  Exactly like a child promising to get chores done now, when the child really means they will try to get them done before they get caught.

Then, add in networking, and you get unexpected delays from another machine, and just plain delays from the OS checking and waiting to see if other machines are connected, and complication exponentially grows. 

• Like 2

One issue with using the Task Manager is that there are so many items listed where one really has not idea of what they are and what they do. It's not good to shut down required processes and how does one know what is required? License server, mgmt server, shceduler, hotkey uwp service, qbidpservice, secomnservice - there's no good way to tell from these cryptic names what is crucial, and what is discardable bloatware.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Catherine said:

One issue with using the Task Manager is that there are so many items listed where one really has not idea of what they are and what they do. It's not good to shut down required processes and how does one know what is required? License server, mgmt server, shceduler, hotkey uwp service, qbidpservice, secomnservice - there's no good way to tell from these cryptic names what is crucial, and what is discardable bloatware.

@Catherine we are in the same boat.   I open up the task manager and I have no idea if I can end a process or not.   And I know if I do some techie type will tell me (after giving me their bill to fix it) how stupid I am for closing an important process.

Tom
Longview, TX

• Like 5

Been building PC's since the old Intel 286 days.  Back when hard drive capacity was measured in megs and 5 1/4 hard drive where the norm.  Showing my age.  Anyway the best info on tweaking or streamlining any version of Windows is Black Vipers's web site.  https://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/   Here is a link to Windows 10, but any version is available.  Windows itself has many services that are not necessary for 90% of all users.  Fluff, I call it.  So even Windows can bog down a system.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Catherine said:

The rule is, if you don't know what it is, leave it be. But if you see Adobe update or QuickBooks update, go to services, stop them and also set them to manual start.

This is reason #121 why it's good to restart your computer every day. Tasks that were trigger started or manually started will continue to run until a reboot.

• Like 4