ATX Community

Deceased Client

Christian

Regrettably one of my clients passed on last year. Her son is her executor and will sign the Form 1310 attached to the return. A question was raised as to whether he needed to sign the signature line on the second page of the Form 1040 and if memory serves he does as executor as he does on the Form 1310.

3 hours ago, Max W said:

I always file form 56 with the return, otherwise the signature may not be accepted.

I've been filing 1310 with the return in the past.  Recently, a client (sister, executrix) received a letter from IRS, called IRS, was told they needed Form 56.  I didn't see in ATX.  I got the form from irs.gov, completed it and she mailed it it.  Then another client, I just completed the Form 56 for him and efiled the 1040, he mailed the Form 56, hoping we could cut the time short and avoid an IRS letter.   This is my first knowledge of the Form 56.  Can you file it with the return as a pdf attachment?

Yes it can go as a PDF attachment. Please note that in my experience, the IRS "loses" Forms 1310 and 56 the first two or three or four times you file it - even when it's on the list of e-filed forms or attachments! To the point where I'm convinced the "you did not send" is a form letter generated to give them more time to deal while making you think you messed up.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1