ATX Community

ID PIN Question

Dave T

This was a new one for me. I had an e-file rejected because the primary taxpayer didn't have an IP PIN.

I haven't been putting that on any of the returns and haven't had any rejections. The only reason I can think that this occurred is that they wanted to pay their balance due with a credit card.  Could that be what triggered the rejection or would it be something else?

I guess I need the t/p to contact the IRS to obtain the PIN

Thank you.

I have a client with an IP PIN also. Once someone requests a PIN, they will need it for every year going forward thereafter.There is no way to cancel it or tell IRS they no longer want or need it.

My particular client lost hers this year too, and she was able to log in to her IRS account and retrieve it that same day.

• Like 4

Some IP PIN tips:

1) someone applying now (or this summer) will receive a number-- but it's only good for returns filed in 2023. They need to be aware that they need the new PIN issued in January to file each year.

2) Clients need to be looking for the CP01A notice in January and take measures to obtain it if they don't receive the letter (and not wait for you to tell them about the reject notice).  If they can't retrieve it online (we all know the joy of passing the photograph requirement at id.me), they will have to wait for the IRS to mail it to them, which is estimated at 3 weeks. 

3) PIN's don't appear on transcript records that we can get, so it has to be the taxpayer.  They need an online account but retrieve a lost IP PIN through a specific channel at irs.gov (just enter "Retrieve Your Identity Protection PIN" in the search box). 

• Like 5

I just had one as well.  He swore he didn't have an ID Pin.  He told us to refile with last years pin, which, of course, also got rejected.  These pins are issued because clients are or were at some point subject to possible identity theft.  We ended up paper filing the return.  Client was not happy with US and I doubt that we will ever see him again.  We know he got the pin and just discarded or can't find it.  He was not willing to ask the IRS for a copy of the Pin for 2022.

• Like 2

I'm sure that was frustrating.  There was a time when they issued them for five consecutive years and then stopped, so if a client didn't have theirs you might think, okay maybe the five years is up.  But now once they get one, they will continue to be issued.

Kind of torn between recommending them or not for those who have not had an identity theft issue.

10 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

One other suggestion is to remind clients with IP PINs that if they move during the year they must file the address change form 8822 or the IP PIN the next January will be sent to the former address. 

How many clients will remember to do that?🤔

• Like 2