ATX Community

1099 FORM

TAXMAN

I'm trying to remember what Block did when they had payouts from their "Peace of Mind" guarantee.  I'm certain they issued a 1099 if payments were part of the client's tax liability.  But not sure if they did when it was just penalties and interest.  The former constitutes income but the latter doesn't seem like it has the same characteristics.

If you were going to report it on a 1099MISC, which box would you use?  I think what it is closest to is an account reimbursable for an employee, although it is not exactly that since they are not an employee.  But if you are reimbursing the exact amount of the expense or less, I would not think it would qualify as income and would therefore not be reportable on a 1099MISC.  I would retain a copy of the bill or other calculation of interest and penalty with the payment information to explain why you did not report it as income.  I could be wrong too - that has been known to happen.  

• Like 1

I too remember Block's POM paying clients with the philosophy taught to us to explain to clients that when HRB pays an obligation of a client that HRB issues Form 1099-MISC. I wasn't involved in the 1099 issuance, so don't remember if the 1099 included ALL payments by HRB to include tax, interest, and penalty.

• Like 1