ATX Community

Goodbye ATX

Tom Phelan

I made the decision to switch to Drake for next season. ~$1,100 for their package, great support, and genuine interest in my practice.

I used ATX for 7 years, and was happy with the software, but I just can't continue with a company that seems to have so little interest in anything but reaching into my pockets. No more "MyATX" that requires tech support just to log in to the website. No more "savings code" that offers no savings. No more amazing disappearing services!

I am a creature of habit, so I really did not want to change software, but I can't shake the feeling that a move was going to come whether I made it or waited for CCH to force the issue even more.

The worst thing that comes out of this is how my opinion of CCH has so dramatically shifted over the past couple of years. I used to consider them as the leader in tax research, and I assumed all the company's products matched the quality of the research services I had used before I went out as an independent CPA. After seeing how they have handled the ATX acquisition and transition, I would be very unlikely to give them an opportunity again.

Good luck to all, and I am sure I will continue to check in at this site.

Tom

I made the decision to switch to Drake for next season. ~$1,100 for their package, great support, and genuine interest in my practice.

I used ATX for 7 years, and was happy with the software, but I just can't continue with a company that seems to have so little interest in anything but reaching into my pockets. No more "MyATX" that requires tech support just to log in to the website. No more "savings code" that offers no savings. No more amazing disappearing services!

I am a creature of habit, so I really did not want to change software, but I can't shake the feeling that a move was going to come whether I made it or waited for CCH to force the issue even more.

The worst thing that comes out of this is how my opinion of CCH has so dramatically shifted over the past couple of years. I used to consider them as the leader in tax research, and I assumed all the company's products matched the quality of the research services I had used before I went out as an independent CPA. After seeing how they have handled the ATX acquisition and transition, I would be very unlikely to give them an opportunity again.

Good luck to all, and I am sure I will continue to check in at this site.

Tom

Please let us know how it goes! I'm sticking with ATX for the coming tax year, but they are most definitely "on probation". I had some serious e-filing problems (especially with MA), and lots of instances where information did not flow properly to state forms. I was sorely tempted by Drake this year, but didn't quite make up my mind to switch.

I'm sure there are a number of us besides just me who will be very curious how it goes for you -- the easy stuff, the surprise "gotcha's", the weirdnesses, and all.

Catherine

Tom: I'm still on the fence and will probably stay with ATX barring any surprises between now and the end of the year (when I will actually make the purchase). But from what I have seen of Drake I would almost certainly switch to them if ATX/CCH drives me away. They have a good product at a reasonable price, and the support appears to be fantastic. Their users are a very loyal bunch, which says a lot about the product. If you've decided to make the change, I think you've made an excellent choice in Drake.

But don't let your choice of software keep you off this forum - I think the concensus is that we all can derive much from this forum regardless of the software we use. After all, nobody controls this forum other than the participants - that's what makes it unique.

I agree with John, please stay on this forum. Tax questions are always helpful to expand the mind or just to get opinions. I have learned so much from everyone on this forum. I also am waiting to see what ATX is going to do before the end of the year. I really like their software and have been with them for 10 years, but recently not that happy with customer service.

>>don't let your choice of software keep you off this forum<<

I have not used ATX for many years. Most of the posts on this forum are about tax regs or work procedures, and there is none better anywhere else. I simply skip any threads about software.

Yes, Tom, you are welcome here no matter what software you use, and I'd guess that maybe 15-20% of the 'regulars' on here use Drake now. All we ask is that members don't slam other software, whether ATX or Drake or any other program, but just stick to facts. Otherwise, questions about either taxes or software are welcome here. We even set up a page to get links to evaluate other software. So stick around, you're welcome anytime here.

Since you are now using Drake, you might want to check out their board at http://www.drakesupport.com/forums/index.php. It is only available for Drake customers, but that limitation was put in place after the firm I am with switched from Drake to ATX so my login still works.

Once you are signed up for Drake you should be able to get into the forum. I did something wrong when I first tried, but after I called them or emailed them about it, they promptly contacted me and got me on the forum.

If you email them a question that isn't something they can answer by emal, they call you and walk you through the process.

Updates are a lot easier than with ATX and efiling worked flawlessley for me. The only difficulty you may have is getting used to the input which is on several different screens. I prepared a 'cheat sheet' to guide me, and posted it under the files section of TaxProExchange. You may want to refer to it. I will probably need to update it when the 2008 version of Drake comes out.

The conversion from ATX works pretty good, but some things won't convert, so you need to check.

When you convert, you will have to enter each client's social security number to bring them into Drake. That was the biggest hassle. But once you establish the client, you can access them from the CSM (Client Status Mgr) which shows them by name, alphabetically.

The client write-up is something you can use to e-file 1099s, W-2s, and to prepare 941s and 940s. One complaint I have is that you cannot print a black-and-white 1096--which I would not mail to the IRS since I efile them. You can also use it for write-up work, but I haven't learned how to do that since I use Peachtree.

Thanks all! I definitely will refer back to this discussion group. It is always informative, and often entertaining! It is with no small amount of trepidation that I am making the switch.

Like all of you, I never feel like I have a lot of extra time to deal with non-billable issues, such as my own learning curve. I just feel like I probably would be forced into a switch in short order, so I am best off moving on my own terms. It is still possible too that I might still buy one of the ATX 1040 packages, just as a bit of a security blanket!

I'll do my best to provide feedback.

Cheers

Thanks all! I definitely will refer back to this discussion group. It is always informative, and often entertaining! It is with no small amount of trepidation that I am making the switch.

Like all of you, I never feel like I have a lot of extra time to deal with non-billable issues, such as my own learning curve. I just feel like I probably would be forced into a switch in short order, so I am best off moving on my own terms. It is still possible too that I might still buy one of the ATX 1040 packages, just as a bit of a security blanket!

I'll do my best to provide feedback.

Cheers

When I switched from Intuit to ATX, I bought both since I wasn't sure ATX would do the job. When I found it worked OK, I discontinued the Intuit program. When I switched to Drake, I tried the demo first to get the hang of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Catherine,

I'd like to know more about your "serious [MA] e-filing problems;" for that's just what's 'killing' me, right now.

This Wednesday, I got a reject notice from ATX for a New York resident (with an SK-1 for MA) -- while his fed & NY e-files sailed through. On Thursday, ATX's "Loranda" promised to keep on top of my problem, and to followup call me Friday morning. Didn't happen; so, Friday noon I reached "Brandy," who merely re-logged my problem and recited the company line that there was no way for her to "expedite" the problem, but she'd simply send another email to "the programmers" -- despite my urgent news that I'm leaving the country for two weeks this Monday.

Almost needless to say, I've heard squat from ATX/CCH since. So, two whole weeks from now, I assume I'll have to reinvigorate my "case." My client & I are lucky that he owes nothing; but, if you could shed any light on what you've undergone with ATX in that jurisdiction, I'd be most grateful.

Very truly yours, TaxCPANY.

Please let us know how it goes! I'm sticking with ATX for the coming tax year, but they are most definitely "on probation". I had some serious e-filing problems (especially with MA), and lots of instances where information did not flow properly to state forms. I was sorely tempted by Drake this year, but didn't quite make up my mind to switch.

I'm sure there are a number of us besides just me who will be very curious how it goes for you -- the easy stuff, the surprise "gotcha's", the weirdnesses, and all.

Catherine

Hey Catherine,

I'd like to know more about your "serious [MA] e-filing problems;" for that's just what's 'killing' me, right now.

This Wednesday, I got a reject notice from ATX for a New York resident (with an SK-1 for MA) -- while his fed & NY e-files sailed through. On Thursday, ATX's "Loranda" promised to keep on top of my problem, and to followup call me Friday morning. Didn't happen; so, Friday noon I reached "Brandy," who merely re-logged my problem and recited the company line that there was no way for her to "expedite" the problem, but she'd simply send another email to "the programmers" -- despite my urgent news that I'm leaving the country for two weeks this Monday.

Almost needless to say, I've heard squat from ATX/CCH since. So, two whole weeks from now, I assume I'll have to reinvigorate my "case." My client & I are lucky that he owes nothing; but, if you could shed any light on what you've undergone with ATX in that jurisdiction, I'd be most grateful.

Instead of just posting a complaint, how about decribing the problem in a little more detail. Someone else may have had the same issue. And we know there are still ATX employees who contribute, and a few who lurk, who might be able to expedite it.

Hey Catherine,

The problem I've had over and over with individuals, partnerships, and S-corps is this: once you e-file an extension through ATX, it gets logged in their computers as the _return_ filed. So when you later go to e-file the return, it gets rejected by EFC for having already been transmitted. The EFC people have to do some special shenanigans to free the return to be transmitted to MassDOR. Sometimes (but not always) you get an e-file acceptance; sometimes you have to go to the MassDOR website and see there if they've accepted the return -- or call ATX and have them tell you verbally.

There have been some other problems, but that's been the main one this year.

Catherine

• 2 weeks later...

I renewed with ATX a few months ago.

I looked at Drake very seriously.

The problem for me with Drake is their method of entering data. You fill out worksheets and the data flows to forms. I like ATX's setup better where you are on a form and "bunny" hop to an input sheet. It allows you to track the flow of data. With Drake I had problems tracking where the data ended up.