ATX Community

Amusing Spam

Lee B

"Hi there,

I hope this email finds you well. I am sending this email on behave of my boss Mr. .   .   .    who is having delays in getting his 2022 taxes returns done in the USA due to some health issues and the passing away of his CPA.

He's not owing taxes, and usually apply his refund and make estimated tax payments. He already filed an extension before he took ill.

If you have the capacity to take on new client, please feel free to reply back to this email or email him directly at .  .  .  . so all tax related materials can be forwarded to you.

This is a bit urgent as the tax session is coming to an end in October.

Awaiting your response.

Best Regard
Doris "

This showed up in my spam folder this morning and I found in funny 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

They are getting more creative, I'll say that. English okay but not great, reasonable scenario of illness and death of prior (nonexistent) preparer - if I got an email like that, that also referenced a known good client's referral, I would not instantly flag it as spam. (I'd contact the known good client and ask "did you give my name to Mr. X" and see what they said.) Way better than the "click here to receive $6M in Nigerian lotto winnings" type spam of a few years ago.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cbslee said:

I used get fax and airmail letters from Nigeria every month🙃

Did you ever hear of "The Nigerian Spam Scam Scam" by Dean Cameron? My husband & I saw a performance of it (based on a true series of interchanges) in Scotland in 2004. My husband nearly fell out of his seat, from laughing so hard. It was wonderful.

Here's a link to a YT teaser/promo video of it. Dean Cameron's Nigerian Spam Scam Scam

I thought at one point DC had written it all out, but now I can't find it. 

• Haha 1