ATX Community

N/T sort of - laughing at myself

jklcpa

I may need some more coffee this morning.

• Client: I'll be dropping my taxes off this morning. Our 2nd child was born Feb 17th. Hope that helps us.
  • Me:  If she was born in 2023, I'll need her SSN.
  • Me again: Oh, of course you meant 2023. We haven't reached the 17th of this month yet.  🤦‍♀️🤣

At least I haven't ended a client call with "love you too" like a friend did. Friend's employer is a large city in FL.  Friend and caller (a stranger to her) both had a good laugh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

My daughter worked for me a couple of years ago.  We always end phone calls with Love You, Bye.  And she caught herself saying that more than once.

On another note, my other daughter was helping in the office.  My name is Elizabeth but I've always been called Beth.  I hear her repeating on the phone "Beth.  You know, like meth but with a B"  

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

When my girls worked for me, they quickly learned to identify themselves immediately - because the three of us are utterly interchangeable on the phone. They would answer, and people would instantly launch into their complicated questions only to be told, "You'll have to talk to mom; hang on she's coming." 

The flip side is when older daughter had her first job, they handed out the W2s in January. Her response was, "great; thanks!" and the other kids were asking "what is this and what do I do with it?" She started explaining and next thing she knew, she had the entire shop surrounding her as she explained the data fields and where the information went on the federal and state forms. She told me later, "As I was talking, I was thinking to myself 'I sound just like mom...'" 🤣

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

year's ago when my daughter was in middle school, she knew when she answered the phone (land line- no one had a cell phone back then)  she had to listen for the fax sound and wait until it picked up.

what she didn't know was that the person on the other end could hear her.  one time, she was waiting for the fax sound and being silly, she screamed some gibberish in the phone.  She was so embarrassed when my client responded to her.😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I had ordered something from a vendor in Fl and he was calling me to confirm the order and called our home phone instead of the office phone.  My daughter was about 12 then and answered the phone with "City morgue -you kill them, we chill them. " So he hung up assuming he had a wrong number.  When he called back she said "City morgue - you stab em, we slab 'em."  But this time he told her he was looking for me.  She gave him the office number, and he was laughing when he told me the story.  She felt bad.  No harm done.  

• Haha 7

In college, each floor in the dorms had a pay phone in the middle of the hallway (for the two people on this board under the age of 40, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payphone).  One day I'm heading to my room after class and the phone rings as I pass it.  So I pick it up, lower my voice a little bit, and slowly say, "Greene County Morgue".  To my horror, it was my mom calling for me.  In spite of me having a very distinctive voice, she didn't recognize me.  Thinking she had dialed wrong, she asks, "What number is this?"  18 year old me is panicking.  I continue my pathetic Lurch imitation and start reading the number listed on the phone, changing the last number.  We hang up.  I go to my room. 

As I walk to my room, the phone rings.  I ignore it.  20 seconds later, one of my dorm mates knocks on my door to tell me I have a phone call.  I go pick up the phone:

Me:  Hello
Mom:  Dave, it's mom.  You won't believe the wrong number I just dialed, the Green County Morgue.  The number is one digit different than yours.  The guy sounded just like a cartoon stereotype of an undertaker. 
Me (my knees still a bit wobbly):  Wow, that's interesting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

10 hours ago, Slippery Pencil said:

In college, each floor in the dorms had a pay phone in the middle of the hallway (for the two people on this board under the age of 40, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payphone).  One day I'm heading to my room after class and the phone rings as I pass it.  So I pick it up, lower my voice a little bit, and slowly say, "Greene County Morgue".  To my horror, it was my mom calling for me.  In spite of me having a very distinctive voice, she didn't recognize me.  Thinking she had dialed wrong, she asks, "What number is this?"  18 year old me is panicking.  I continue my pathetic Lurch imitation and start reading the number listed on the phone, changing the last number.  We hang up.  I go to my room. 

As I walk to my room, the phone rings.  I ignore it.  20 seconds later, one of my dorm mates knocks on my door to tell me I have a phone call.  I go pick up the phone:

Me:  Hello
Mom:  Dave, it's mom.  You won't believe the wrong number I just dialed, the Green County Morgue.  The number is one digit different than yours.  The guy sounded just like a cartoon stereotype of an undertaker. 
Me (my knees still a bit wobbly):  Wow, that's interesting.

That's funny.  I remember those dorms with the pay phone in the middle of the floor.

• Like 3