ATX Community

New scam to be aware of

kathyc2

Just received an email from "Karen"  that says "I have uploaded my 2023 tax documents in the workdrive below secure link, please look through it, and let me know if you need any additional  information. Also will it cost the same as the last."

I'm small enough that I know all my clients and didn't fall for it.  Those that deal in volume returns or have staff beware!

• Like 9
  • Angry 1

I've been getting a ton of these.  They're easy to tell they are a scam.  Then there are the ones that are kinda vague but could be from potential clients.  Those I will respond saying I'm not taking new clients.

Then there is the one in a hundred that says:

(a paragraph on how they found me)  "We registered as domestic partners in January 2023 in Massachusetts, moved to AZ for June and July, and California from August on. My partner just has MA income to report (quit job to go to law school), I have the same job/w-2 but taxed in all 3 states. TurboTax full service couldn’t cover RDP / community property rules in CA and we are pretty lost on our own! "  Closing paragraph.

I pick them up as clients.  I'm a sucker for a sob story.

• Like 3

I get a ton, but I always can tell that they are coming through my website, because that is my only public email. I got a really detailed one yesterday about my website images violating copyright laws, blah, blah, blah. I just deleted it. The funny thing was that I had just notified the new owner that bought the website provider that I would not be renewing and it would be coming down 3/31.

• Like 2

I received an email with a pdf attachment this morning from "Department of Public" stating that the FTC has evidence that my SSN has been used in NM and TX for international wire transfers to blacklisted bank accounts. The sender's email addy is some gibberish through gmail. 

I never click links in email or open attachments, but unfortunately when I moved my phone out of the dog's way as he tried to jump on me, I touched close enough to it on the screen this this morning to open it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2