ATX Community

clarification - 8889 - Did I screw up?

WITAXLADY

I am having a mental crisis here -

Form 8889 -

I have not put the employee contributions on the line 2, page 2 - click over - but left it at the EmployER contribution..

from the W-2 - line

However, line 1 if you click over says to put contribution here...  if not from a cafeteria plan -

Isn't that what happened? Cafeteria plan - where the employee elects to have the HSA taken out pre-tax?

and when I click off the

employer - all the numbers go away..

but that is okay as it does not change the refund?/due?

And I do use the line 1 contribution when it is additional or self.

Just the W-2 W that is flowing through..

Tell me it's ok?

Or I have been doing it wrong since 2019!

Or just 2022!! as that does change the refund! But why? It is already included in pre-tax or not included??

Do not need to know until April 16th as 2020 was the May 17th amends!

Thx

D/WI

Employers can make contributions to an employee's HSA, and employees can make pre-tax contributions through a cafeteria plan.  These are treated the same and both are reported as code W on Box 12 of the W-2 and will generally flow through automatically to the 8889 line 9 - no adjustment on the tax return can be taken for these.

If the employee makes additional (post-tax) contributions, they are reported on line 2 of Form 8889 and an adjustment may be taken.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, WITAXLADY said:

On line 9 - it says employER - and these are from employee..

so when you click on line 2 to put in what matches box 12 - the contribution goes to line 1 on page 1 and gives a credit -

Who's error?

Please see the instructions for form 8889.  Line 9 instructions say to include employer contributions AND those from the employee through a cafeteria plan. That information is on the W-2, box 12, code W.

Line 1 is for the overall limitation for the year.

Line 2 is for contributions made separately by the employee outside of payroll NOT on the W-2.

Doesn't ATX carry the amount automatically from the W-2 and fill in the limitation automatically if it is a full year coverage and you simply indicate it is either self coverage or family coverage?

• Like 4

There can be both, but separate contributions after tax from the employee do not show up on the W2.  That is information that is given to you by the client.  I think you are fine.  Only occasionally do I have a client who contributes to the HSA after tax.

• Like 1

When ATX barks at me about that, I just put a 0 in the employee contribution line (it will accept that) because the employee/employer contributions through the W2 (code W) all count the same, as mentioned above.  Enter a '0' and the error will go away.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, WITAXLADY said:

Technically line 9 is still incorrect - as those are both employer (maybe) and employee!! contributions thru a Cafeteria Plan..

d

No, only the label for line 9 is unclear to you. Perhaps it should read "contributions made through and by employment".

The instructions for line 9 are very clear. It says this line should include all contributions made by the employer AND by employee through a cafeteria plan.  When the employee contributes through a cafeteria plan offered by the employer, the employer has the funds and acts in the capacity of agent to remit those funds to the HSA on behalf of the employee.

• Like 4