ATX Community

IT friends

ILLMAS

It seems like my PC is 24/7 downloading window updates and has been sluggish for the past weeks, I have to restart/shut down a couple of times a day, can anyone recommend what I should check for?  It’s driving me nuts 

Thanks

I can also hear the fan or drive over working.

I try to manually checks for updates every Wednesday. I do it just before lunch, and let it run if needed. If you do not keep relatively current, there can be many updates needed, and in some cases, they are done in specific order, with multiple reboots some of the time.

Another goodie is to reboot your modem (or modem/router) at least once a month. I am also using a consumer/pro grade physical firewall box (to allow two internet connections to be live at the same time and) to block access to places other than the US, incoming or outgoing. (I did have to add an exception for a game SWMBO plays.)

Make sure you are not sleeping/hibernating/power off until the updates are complete, or they may have to start over.

When I notice a significant update, after it is done, I will manually check again in case the new update triggers another.

I do not use the option to get the latest updates quicker (a quasi beta tester).

I do not use any third party "security" software, as such software is often the cause of issues - the security built into Windows is great as is, better than you can get third party if you setup correctly. My new fav, now that I finally am using Pro Windows, is the brute force safe bit locker drive boot pin, and the walk away with my phone computer lock.

For the fan, look online for hints how to clean your air paths and fan. They do need to be cleaned out on occasion. For me, I use portable computers, and I prop them up to improve air flow, versus sitting flat on a desk or my lap.

• Like 1

A loud fan likely means dust has accumulated inside unit.  Shut it down, remove the cover and vac or blow out dust.

It can also mean something is hogging CPU or memory.  Ctrl/alt/del to bring up task manager than then look at processes to see if something is using up resources. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lee B said:

Perhaps you need an IT professional to do some maintenance

If a single stand alone, no one really does. Repair or fixes, sure, but first letting the updates run, after they are done manually checking, until no more are left, is good to self do. Same with blowing/vacuuming (depending on one's preference/belief) is a self project.

The random computer "expert" is likely going to connect remotely, run some sort of script, and may or may not fix anything, and may or may not cause more problems. One (in)famous "expert" service is well known for causing more problems, as their default is to do some sort of backup on removable media, a clean wipe and reinstall of Windows, then send you on your way with only their faulty backup to work from (they do not back up everything, just the common things, and they rarely help restore).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Medlin Software, Dennis said:

If a single stand alone, no one really does. Repair or fixes, sure, but first letting the updates run, after they are done manually checking, until no more are left, is good to self do. Same with blowing/vacuuming (depending on one's preference/belief) is a self project.

The random computer "expert" is likely going to connect remotely, run some sort of script, and may or may not fix anything, and may or may not cause more problems. One (in)famous "expert" service is well known for causing more problems, as their default is to do some sort of backup on removable media, a clean wipe and reinstall of Windows, then send you on your way with only their faulty backup to work from (they do not back up everything, just the common things, and they rarely help restore).

Most of us don't have your years of knowledge and experience.

For sure!  My IT person stops in or calls nearly once a week during tax season just to make sure that everything is going well.  I know that I am very fortunate to have him and he has taught me a lot of things that I can do myself.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Randall said:

Ha.  But I'm using Windows 10 and don't want to upgrade or get a new computer with Win11 if Win12 is coming soon.

Same Boat.   I am still in good shape on my desktop running Win10.   Still can open 2 years of ATX if I am only looking at one return and working on the other.   But I have had this desktop for about 5 years and it has served its purpose.   Time to get my next 5 year investment.  

Anyone in Texas who builds computers?   Otherwise I think I am going to do Dell again, but I hate all the extra programs that Dell loads on their machines.   

Tom
Longview, TX

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lee B said:

I am on Windows 10 also. I am going to wait and see how expensive Microsoft Extended Service Agreements will be.

For businesses, the first year is priced at $61. It then doubles to $122 for the second year and then doubles again in year three to $244. If you enter into the ESU program in year two, you’ll have to pay for year one as well since the ESUs are cumulative.

On Wednesday, Microsoft updated its Windows IT Pro Blog post to note that the pricing listed applies to commercial organizations only and that details of consumer pricing “will be shared at a later date.”

https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/3/24120093/microsoft-windows-10-extended-security-updates-price

• Thanks 2

The computer I bought a few months ago is Win11 and besides not being able to move my taskbar location to the right side of the screen where I've had it since Win8, 11 is still buggy. For example, I have my taskbar set to hide so I can have that screen space, but it won't stay hidden, so I have to restart Windows Explorer to make it hide again, which of course closes all of my file explorer windows.

They also really want you to login in with a microsoft.com account instead of a local account, and to use OneDrive. I changed my account type to local and I think I've disable OneDrive, for the most part.

• Like 4