ATX Community

Words To Live By

Lee B

Rule 1, umpires are always right. Rule 2, if umpire is wrong, see rule 1.

But of course, the good ones work hard to never be wrong, and understand they will be wrong and have to rule the best they can with what they have at the moment. Good training for life.

Sadly, the difference today is any perceived slight will follow you forever at any time. I have been asked about a call from 20 years ago while online at the grocery. Must have kept little Spike from making the show. My very first call in my very first game was an ejection. Little JR cursed at me. The grown up JR resides at state expense as a predator. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Joel said:

I might add the following:  If you really want to  learn a subject, prepare to teach it to others.

If you really want to learn a subject, learn it hands on and do your research.  This is my fourth year of teaching another accountant that "accountant" does not equal "tax preparer".  She has a certificate in accounting.  I have one in tax preparation.  I taught myself and gleaned knowledge from others along the way.  This tax board, in particular, has been a major contributor.  She is terrified of starting out on her own.  I HAD to learn Partnerships because my husband was, and still is, one.  There are areas that I don't step into.  Take on only what you can handle or are willing to learn.

• Like 6

On 4/19/2024 at 7:50 AM, Joel said:

I might add the following:  If you really want to  learn a subject, prepare to teach it to others.

Old college professor of mine said "You only start to understand thermodynamics about the third or fourth time you teach it."

• Like 3