ATX Community

Drivers License Number

I just noticed that the Permanent File form has a field for Driver's License Number, on the Data tab, so you can enter it there and create a link to the Main Info field for ID Number. And, if you want to enter the issue date and expiration date, you can use the Date of Birth and Date of Death fields on the Permanent File Data tab, and link those as well. Fortunately, ATX doesn't link anything on the Permanent File form to any other forms.

How to create links: https://support.cch.com/oss/sfs/kb/solution/000176488

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And, that person who lost his license and got a new one without telling you. Thank goodness, I ask each year, so I found out.

CT makes you hand type in the license number each year. I don't know if Mr. Normal's link will work if a client has a CT return. I'm going to try something similar in my software to check it out, though!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lee B said:

I have removed and have stopped retaining any drivers license information in order to reduce the risk of identity theft.

Not much risk if the info is just in ATX. Also, your drives should be encrypted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Abby Normal said:

Not much risk if the info is just in ATX. Also, your drives should be encrypted.

And drive encryption is only slightly helpful UNLESS you power off or hibernate, and have a password/PION on restart (not just the Windows password). Notice I did not mention sleep, since sleep is the same as leaving your computer on, unlocked, and ready for anyone to use.

I avoided collecting DL info except for clients getting a State refund.  Like Lee, I would like to limit personal information in my computer, but two (three?) years ago several of my clients' refunds were held up by the IRS for verification, so I started collecting them on anyone getting a refund.  It is something of a pain to re-enter every year in ATX, so thanks for the tip.  I figure as long as the license is not expired, should be good enough for the IRS. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, schirallicpa said:

Thank you Abby Normal for telling us about that.  Honestly, I had never seen the permanent data page before.  

I learned about it when I complained to support that entity returns didn't have a taxpayer info page like the 1040 had/has. Entities now have a Main Info form.

I don't use it very often but it is a nice place to list information about a client that isn't a part of the return.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 12:52 PM, Lion EA said:

CT makes you hand type in the license number each year. I don't know if Mr. Normal's link will work if a client has a CT return.

Drake does not populate the DR License from the previous year.  You have to re-enter it every year.

1 hour ago, Corduroy Frog said:

Drake does not populate the DR License from the previous year.  You have to re-enter it every year.

The ones I have entered have all come forward. IIRC, this is one of the items you select to either roll forward or not when first creating the file for the year. 

• Like 3

My NY license #s roll forward, but not CT. NY requires a DL, no matter what state the DL is from, for a NY resident or NR return. CT does NOT require a DL, but claims they DO use it for ID purposes if it's included. IIRC, CO doesn't require a DL but strongly warns that refunds will be delayed or language to that effect. At least TN and FL don't have state returns. It's too late at night to remember the other states 8 I file.

• Like 2