ATX Community

My tax information

I have been in the hospital and rehab for several months. I got into one of my ATX programs    I was shocked to not find any information for the taxes I had filed.  I paid for these programs and do not understand why I can't access these taxes I paid for and filed.  I need information off several of the taxes.  We are no longer doing enough taxes to afford the ATX programs anymore.  Please advise me how I can look up information on any tax I paid for and need now???

Bonnie Tittle

Tittle's Tax Service Inc.

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on how important is to get that information, you might need to buy the package for this year. 

It is important to know this information. So the year of your retirement, PRINT EVERY RETURN (at least to pdf) and keep it for your records.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pacun said:

Depending on how important is to get that information, you might need to buy the package for this year. 

Yes, when I switched from ATX to Drake and didn't buy the current year's ATX package, I lost all my access to my prior year's ATX information.

20 minutes ago, Lee B said:

Yes, when I switched from ATX to Drake and didn't buy the current year's ATX package, I lost all my access to my prior year's ATX information.

That... doesn't seem correct. But I've never left ATX, so I can't speak from experience. I do, however know that the ATX database resides on your computer, so all of your information should still be there. I'd run the database repair files, first.

• Like 2

Bonnie. Hopefully your rehab has worked, and you are doing well. Your question is likely first served by contacting ATX directly. Going forward, and for all of us, it is imperative you print (paper or PDF) and retain all items and have several copies. Assuming PDF, on your computer is a good start, removable media stored in your office is handy, but having at least one set in a separate location is imperative. Relying on your computer, software, and data to be there when you next need it is never enough.

Unless the rules have been updated (and they were put in place in the 90's, so they should be updated), what you describe, not having your data or reports, is actually a reportable to the IRS issue. I am not saying the IRS is going to hunt you down, but that the rules (again, the last time I looked anyway) are very strict and often require proactive reporting of any actual or potential inability not to be able to produce required information.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

I do, however know that the ATX database resides on your computer, so all of your information should still be there.

and you paid a license to use those programs that are still on your computer.

• Like 2

I don't like the sound of that Lee.  I have never let my ATX subscription lapse, but if I did, I didn't think I would lose access to a year that I had paid for.  I can see them not cooperating with file restoration if you're not a customer, but I assumed (I know, never assume), I could load up ATX for a certain year and upload my backup into it.

• Like 1

Where I come from is absolutely, a license was paid for. The ATX license terms control, which I do not have. Maybe they are no current license = off, maybe they are like mine, no data added after the expiration. But, where many many many fail, is believing somehow I have their data and can come to their magical rescue when the inevitable happens.

No matter the license or situation, one must look at self for not having alternate sources. What if ATX (the company) disappeared this afternoon? What if your computer disappeared too? How about your entire work location destroyed?

• Like 3

My IT person is going to clone my current hard drive next week whild I am on vacation.  The clone will be stored in a safe place off site.  This is in addition to my full system backups; my jump drive  backups of all tax files, etc.  It is also imperative with ATX to keep a list of the codes required to install and open each years' program.  We even keep a list of our passwords for each year.  You just never know when you might need to go back to a prior year.  I can't speak for persons who have changed software as I have never deviated from ATX.  We also keep paper printouts for several years.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mcb39 said:

My IT person is going to clone my current hard drive next week whild I am on vacation

Tell them to make sure to kill end of the ATX Server services are running, before doing the clone. Better safe than sorry.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Medlin Software, Dennis said:

what you describe, not having your data or reports, is actually a reportable to the IRS issue. I am not saying the IRS is going to hunt you down, but that the rules (again, the last time I looked anyway) are very strict and often require proactive reporting of any actual or potential inability not to be able to produce required information.

She has the data. What she is lucking is the software that can access that data.  Have you seen a message when you click on pdf... "you don't have pdf reader, please download". Since pdf reader doesn't need a license, you are able to get it and issue solved. 

As for the statement that we pay for the license, read the fine print and you will find something like "you are license for the current year... if you want to be license longer, you will have to buy our updates.  No one reads that but you click "accept" in order to install. 

Bottom line is that if you are planning to NOT use ATX next year, you have until January 31, 2025 to back your data in a format that you have a piece of sotare that covers your data to information.

4 hours ago, Pacun said:

She has the data. What she is lucking is the software that can access that data. 

If she has the full database, I'm almost certain that she can reinstall that year's ATX and it will work. If she just has exports or ATX backups, it will not work.

1 minute ago, Christian said:

All my client info is on my computer and if I quit I am sure it will remain. I back each individual's account on to a small thumb drive and do not quite understand what this lady is saying.

If you have a PDF of the returns and a PDF of the records, even if you can't get ATX to work, you will have everything you need.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Christian said:

All my client info is on my computer and if I quit I am sure it will remain. I back each individual's account on to a small thumb drive and do not quite understand what this lady is saying.

As long as you believe that device will not walk away or fail, and you can find the thumb drive. I too used to think such actions were enough, but when you leave your home (office) not knowing if the home will be there on your return, you start to think differently. We literally left in 10 minutes, having to make decisions on the fly (yes, those photos can be replaced, yes, that auto is insured, l will tow the other, we can get clothes at a store). While we don't think that every time we go out the door, we are prepared anyway.

I see what you mean. Thumb drive sets to my immediate left but you are correct a fire and it's kaput. In 41 years I have had two audits which amounted to a $54 dollar refund and an additional tax for a golf cart donated to his club which I told him would not fly. 😃 I swear try as I might clients SIMPLY will not act on good advise. 

Just now, Christian said:

I see what you mean. Thumb drive sets to my immediate left but you are correct a fire and it's kaput.

Or you cannot find it and your computer has issues. That has happened to me too, but even then, I had alternate backups in alternate locations (back then, physical locations). And for sure, don't plug into an outlet or strip under your desk as that one stretch of your legs will be a nightmare (if you still rely on a computer without a battery).

1 hour ago, Christian said:

😃 I swear try as I might clients SIMPLY will not act on good advise. 

According to a national survey, Tik Tok is the first source for tax advice for taxpayers under the age of 40🙄

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Update:  We cloned the hard drive this afternoon.  All went well.  Installed the clone and it worked perfectly and passed all the tests.  Removed the clone and installed the original hard drive.  Again, all is well.  The clone is now in a safe place and all systems are go.  I have the best IT person ever.  He is a client of mine.  I take care of his business and he takes care of mine.🫠

• Like 7

Now, just to find a way to update my ineligible hardware to Win 11 before November of 2025.  So far, nothing.  However, I have a Grandson who writes code for a large Insurance Company; so, who knows?