ATX Community

Hey Janitor Bob

Booger

but I want BOTH, darn it! Thanks for confirming.....I have dealt with very few qualifying widow(er) situations (fortunately), so my personal taxes are slightly different this year.

JB, your "I WANT BOTH" comment sounds a lot like most of my tax clients when it comes to the amount of their

refund. BTW, how is the other tax prep guy (who used to post on this board) from Sidney doing? Forgive me, I

don't remember his "Screen Name".

Curious Booger

His screen name is Single Dad.

taxbilly

I left myself a nasty message complaining that I must be wrong because my refund was not as much as my cousin's and since we both wear the same brand of t-shirt and drink the same kind of beer, our refunds should be the same.

I think I'll charge myself more so maybe I will go to a different preparer next year!

I have not heard from Single Dad since April of last year...I think he may have moved away. If I recall correctly, he was considering that last year.

But things are good here (consdering the crappy economy and all)....Just gearing up for another fun-filled season of taxes.

I left myself a nasty message complaining that I must be wrong because my refund was not as much as my cousin's and since we both wear the same brand of t-shirt and drink the same kind of beer, our refunds should be the same.

I think I'll charge myself more so maybe I will go to a different preparer next year!

I have not heard from Single Dad since April of last year...I think he may have moved away. If I recall correctly, he was considering that last year.

But things are good here (consdering the crappy economy and all)....Just gearing up for another fun-filled season of taxes.

Is the fountain still flowing??? and gee... whats the name of the old lady who hangs around there??

Is the fountain still flowing??? and gee... whats the name of the old lady who hangs around there??

They have yet to turn the fountains back on (not until March, usually) so Crazy Mary has been frequenting the local car washes.....I did see her in the Big Lots grocery store the other day.....she poked the lady at the register and shouted "listen, fancy pants, Chitlins aint blue!"

I do not know what that means, but some people came and took Mary away.

They have yet to turn the fountains back on (not until March, usually) so Crazy Mary has been frequenting the local car washes.....I did see her in the Big Lots grocery store the other day.....she poked the lady at the register and shouted "listen, fancy pants, Chitlins aint blue!"

I do not know what that means, but some people came and took Mary away.

I don't know what "chitlins aint blue" means either, but it reminds me of another maxim:

Red meat isn't bad for you --- fuzzy GREEN meat is bad for you!

;-)

Catherine

Chitlins, often spelled chitterlings, are a type of food made from pig intestines. In the US, they are a common soul food offering, though their cleaning and preparation can take a good deal of time. They are especially popular served during Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations among African American families.

The origin of chitlins is from the various foods served to slaves during the winter. When hogs were slaughtered in the South, African Americans were often given the intestines, instead of the meat of the pig. This led to a gradual dependence on the food as a "treat" during the winter months. Post-slavery, chitlins continued as a beloved culinary tradition.

Because chitlins are intestines, they have to be cleaned with extreme care. They can contain fecal matter, which can translate to ingesting numerous forms of bacteria including E. Coli, yersinia, and salmonella . If chitlins are sold uncooked, they need to be cleaned, and hand picked of any remaining fecal matter. Guides on cooking chitlins often suggest boiling them for 5 minutes to sterilize them prior to preparing them.

Chitlins can be added to stews or soups, and some people prefer them cooked and then deep-fried. When deep-fried, chitlins may be dipped in mustard, or other spicy condiments. Chitlins also are used for casings, so before you reject the idea of chitlins, don’t forget if you’ve had sausages, you’ve eaten them.

"Menudo is a wonderfully aromatic soup made of tripe, hominy and chili, and is stewed for hours with garlic and other spices. the broth is rich, red, papery, and glistens with fat. It stimulates the senses, arms the insides, and clears the head.

Menudo is served in big open bowls brought to the table steaming and fiery. It is usually eaten in the wee hours after a night out on the town and widely proclaimed to be an antidote for hangovers.

Mexicans brag about menudo's goodness, about how the hot broth with its medicinal condiments, particularly the chili, replenishes vitamins A and C, soothes the stomach, and stimulates the gastric juices to overcome any loss of appetite."