ATX Community

Question/Advice about MS-Office Upgrade

samingeorgia

I just installed an audit program utility from PPC. This will not run on MS-Office 2000, which, of course, is what I have. For about the same money I can get Office 2003 or an "upgrade" version of Office 2007. The PPC tech said that either would be fine; I could "get by" (her words) with 2003. Most people on here are a lot more computer-savvy than I, so I'm asking for some advice. My questions for the folks here:

1. Is there much difference between Office 2003 and Office 2007?

2. What do I not get with an "upgrade" as opposed to a full version?

3. Will a 2007 upgrade work from the 2000 version? In other words, is skipping intermediate versions OK?

4. How may legal installs can I do?

5. Which would you do?

Thanks to all in advance.

If the price is similar, I'd go with the more recent Office 2007 just because I'll be able to go longer before I have to upgrade again. I think for an "upgrade" you just have to have an earlier version installed on your computer. It's probably more a pricing thing, but it should bring in your settings from your earlier version.

I generally upgrade when I get a new computer. Currently running XP and Office 2003. I plan to get a new computer later this year. I'll go with Vista and Office 2007. I hate the changes and the annoying learning curve too but there will continue to be upgrades and I want to keep up as much as possible.

1. Is there much difference between Office 2003 and Office 2007?

Office 2007 is substantially different from earlier versions; you'll be looking at learning a lot of new stuff (including wehre they hid common controls and tools) in the middle of tax season. Stick with 2003; it looks and feels much more like the version you are used to.

2. What do I not get with an "upgrade" as opposed to a full version?

Upgrade looks for earlier version files. If those aren't there, you won't end up with a working version -- it will refuse to install.

3. Will a 2007 upgrade work from the 2000 version? In other words, is skipping intermediate versions OK?

Probably. Keep in mind that any Microsoft product is not worth using until at least two major revisions/correction have gone by (sort of like Intuit's QuickBooks every year; don't bother to install until they've done two rounds of bug-fixing).

4. How may legal installs can I do?

One computer per license, but check the license for details. If you want one copy at work, one at home, and one on your laptop -- that's three licenses.

5. Which would you do?

I upgraded to 2003 about two years ago. Will not go to 2007 until dragged kicking and screaming (actually, at that point I'll probably go for Open Office).

Remember also that all Microsoft's new versions are HUGE (make sure you have a big hard drive) files and are RAM-hogs to run (load the machine with as much RAM as it will hold -- one reason for VISTA was to allow more RAM so that you can actually _run_ the newer RAM-hungry MS products). More reasons to avoid MS and their "upgraded" programs, IMHO.

Catherine

I still like Office 2003 because it is almost just like Office 2000, and I did not have to re-learn how to use it. Office 2007 works the same in many ways, but has a very different look and anything that I am used to using on the toolbar seems to me to be in a different place and I have to hunt for it.

That said, my son loves Office 2007. One feature that he showed me, that I have to admit is great for a student, is that it will now format footnotes and works cited using any of a number of standard methods, such as MLA. However, I have not found much use for that in my practice. There may be other upgrades that I am not aware of because I am still sticking with my 2003 until I upgrade computers.

<<<4. How may legal installs can I do?

One computer per license, but check the license for details. If you want one copy at work, one at home, and one on your laptop -- that's three licenses.>>>

Based upon the facts and circumstances a single copy of Office 2007 may be installed on three computers.

The way some licenses work are different. As a rule, I've understood one license to mean one user. That one user may have 1 home computer, 1 office computer and 1 laptop for traveling. Most programs will allow that to be done just as long as you keep it to yourself and don't pass it around to others. I'm sure Microsoft works the same, but like the others have said, you'll want to research that more in depth. IMO, you'd be fine.

<<<4. How may legal installs can I do?

One computer per license, but check the license for details. If you want one copy at work, one at home, and one on your laptop -- that's three licenses.>>>

Based upon the facts and circumstances a single copy of Office 2007 may be installed on three computers.

Then that's been changed from the last time I enquired of them (admittedly, more than 5 or 6 years ago). They (MS; I called specifically to ask this) told me flat-out that I needed separate licenses for my laptop and desktop machines. So I simply left the program off my laptop. And thought mean things in their general direction.

Catherine

That may well be the case, I'm not sure, but I just know that a lot of programs let you do that as long as you don't pass the software around. Catherine is right though, policies often change and it's always best to do the research before hand.

Although, in no way am I condoning the misuse of a license agreements, but who actually follows the agreements to a " T " and only installs on 1 computer? I know if I've spent all that money on one program, I'm going to want to use it on my work computer and / or at least my laptop.

Thanks to all who replied!

I saw 2007 today at a colleague's office -- the consensus there was that 2007 is better but does require learning where they put things. I suppose that pretty soon Microsoft will stop supporting 2003 and I was a little spooked by the rep at PPC saying that I could "get by" with 2003. I swear they're all in cahoots!

As to licenses, I was told several years ago that the license was for the user and that you could put it on the home office computer and the laptop as long as they are not running at the same time. This would have strong implications for a network setup, but that's not how I have my stuff set up. I have network connections for internet but all three computers are stand-alone. I think maybe a call to Redmond may be in order to clarify this. I'm getting along fine with what I have on the dektop, but if I want to swap / move files (which I will) I don't want compatibility issues.

Thanks again for everybody's input. I'll sleep on it and decide later this week.

Compatibility is another issue with Office 2007. Files created with it cannot be opened by earlier versions unless you download a patch to allow you to open those files. Until you mentioned it, I did not think about that issue

In my versions of 2007 Word and 2007 Excel, I have the choice of saving the file as a 2007 version or as a 97-2003 version. That other version can be opened by earlier programs.