ATX Community

Hardware Question

mcb39

For past several months, monitor has been blacking out inrtermittently for just a second. Sometimes does it several times then stabilizes and works fine for weeks. Seems to be worse when system has not been used for a while. I have run CK Disk from both windows and DOS. Have run PC Doctor. Hard drive checks out every time. This past Sunday, after being gone for ten days; monitor went out and stayed out. Could only get it to show "Power Saving Mode" as if it were going into standby. Since restarting the system, everything has been fine. Any ideas as to which direction I should head. Hate to spring for a new monitor if that is not the problem. Any input will be appreciated. <_<

Another good place to look for an old monitor would be a computer repair shop. There's one near my office that sells them for $50. They would probably loan one to you if you asked, especially if you promised to bring the computer to them if it needs repair or to buy a monitor from them if you need one.

Monitors are not expensive anymore, buy a 19" LCD. If the problem is your computer, them just order the CPU since you already have a new monitor in stock. Do not spend those $50 on used monitors.

I was pretty much thinking the same thing as for just a little more than twice that much, I can buy a 19" flat screen. My feeling is that all of you who have replied are leaning more toward monitor than CPU.; as I am. I have a few old 15" in the basement; if need be. Pretty hard to regress after 3 years with 19".

Sounds like you may need to replace your VGA card. Call a tech shop in the area and describe the problem to them. If it sounds like that is it, you can have it in and out of the shop in the same day. Take it in some Thursday pm, take Friday off and pick it up Monday morning.

Mike

VGA cards can become loose as a result of heat and cold, starting and ending power. Since this is an intermittent problem I would check the card to see it it is properly seated in the socket before purchasing any new hardware. All you have to do is giggle and push on the card.

I fix computers for a living and this is my advice. Purchase a new monitor, if problem persists, purchase a new computer. Whoever has a computer that is 3 years old, should purchase a new computer if you start having problems with your equipment.

Not only your 3+ years old computer runs slow but also you will get other issues down the raod.

By the way, the company that I work for depreciates computers on a 3 year schedule. I was under the impression that computers are listed property 5y.

VGA cards can become loose as a result of heat and cold, starting and ending power. Since this is an intermittent problem I would check the card to see it it is properly seated in the socket before purchasing any new hardware. All you have to do is giggle and push on the card.

Well, now I know what I am doing wrong whenever I try to fix my own computer. I don't giggle enough! :lol:

If the monitor is showing a no signal message, it is either the video cable connection on the video card, or sometimes the video cable also has a connection on the back of the monitors that might be loose (Samsung monitors are frequently like this.) If it was the video card, you would hear a beep beep beep when the computer was starting. I have also seen broken pins in a video cable that was bent too sharply, try straightening the cable.

Personally, I would just buy myself a new monitor (nice one) and if the issue didn't go away, I would buy the new PC. The things are so cheap that I consider them throw away devices unfortunately.

If you don't want to buy a new one, frequently on craigslist.org there are people GIVING them away so they don't have to pay the .80/pound disposal fee (it's illegal to throw away electronics in the trash here).

VGA cards can become loose as a result of heat and cold, starting and ending power.

Thanks Old Jack. I knew perfectly well what you meant. I will try that as it is the most sensible and economical answer that I received. I learned years ago that when it comes to computers, try the easy things first. I just don't (before today) know anything about VGA cards. I certainly don't consider my barely 3 year old very fast system a throw-away and I certainly don't want to swap XP for Vista at this time. Much appreciation to all who replied.

You are right a 3 year old computer that doesn't give problems is better than a brand new computer. I am using a pentium III computer, but computer people don't practice what they preach.

1.- I always advise people to use UPS, I don't use them.

2.- I always advise people to buy new computers, I don't purchase new ones.

3.- I always tell people not to connect to other peoples wireless networks, and I do. (of course with my play laptop, NOT my tax prep PC).

4.- I always tell people not to open PCs and I always open them.

5.- I never get frustruated when PCs don't work, but I suggest people to get really frustated and call me when their computers don't work.

• 2 weeks later...

>>you MEANT to say "giggle<<

Yeah sure JohnH... I'll bet everyone else thought I meant "jiggle", when the truth is I meant "wiggle" so others in the office could see. LOL

I did try to wiggle and jiggle the monitor connection on back of CPU. Have had no problems since. However, I did get a fantastic buy on a 19" LCD monitor (still in box); Will get it set up one of these days, but in the meantime, the old one is behaving perfectly...WEIRD!

• 2 weeks later...

Update.....still using old monitor; new one still in the box. System performance is excellent and consistent. Therefore, thanks a ton to Old Jack and Mike. My hardware consultant says that it is too much of a coincidence for the VGA card not to have been causing the problem. It must have been loose, but next time he and I both have time, he will open CPU and check VGA connections. At that time, we will try out new monitor. I so appreciate all of the responses from so many of you. :)