ATX Community

How Much Was My 2008 Stimulus Payment Site not available?

Jack from Ohio

"We are sorry, our Where's my Stimulus Payment Status feature is currently not available. Please try again later."

It was the same all last weekend. How are we supposed to use this tool when it is offline so much?

I am certain that I am the only preparer whos clients cannot remember, nor did not bring the letter....??

Just venting... IRS is requiring the info to be accurate or refunds are delayed. Yet the tool to verify the amount is offline???? :angry:

"We are sorry, our Where's my Stimulus Payment Status feature is currently not available. Please try again later."

It was the same all last weekend. How are we supposed to use this tool when it is offline so much?

I am certain that I am the only preparer whos clients cannot remember, nor did not bring the letter....??

Just venting... IRS is requiring the info to be accurate or refunds are delayed. Yet the tool to verify the amount is offline???? :angry:

It is total BS.....I have four returns that are waiting on this information....and their "feature" is down more than it is up.

I accessed it just this AM. You must be hitting at peak times. My advice is to wait an hour and try again.

I access the site early in the morning or late at night and have not had a problem getting in.

taxbilly

Try right now and see...

My clients are in my office during regular business hours. Waiting till late night or early morning is not an option when they are sitting across from me. I have been seeing more down time than up time.

The IRS must have known when tax season started??? :dunno: And they should have known how much server space and bandwith would be needed for peak season?? :dunno: Just more venting...

I just now tried it and it worked fine.

I'm not preparing a tax return or anything - just wanted to see if it would work using my own information.

Of course, that probably means somebody further down in the queue got an error message because I was taking up bandwidth. If so, I offer my apology.

Try right now and see...

My clients are in my office during regular business hours. Waiting till late night or early morning is not an option when they are sitting across from me. I have been seeing more down time than up time.

The IRS must have known when tax season started??? :dunno: And they should have known how much server space and bandwith would be needed for peak season?? :dunno: Just more venting...

Clients should not complain as they were all clearly instructed to save the letter that went along with the check. So far, I have had 3 clients bring it in. I checked them anyway and they all agreed. If that little guy jumps out from behind my computer, I plan on putting him to work :)

But they always seem to complain anyway.

Want to _really_ make them complain PLUS start some neurons firing about how much tax they (we) all actually pay, after you show them Line 72 (amount overpaid), point out to them Line 61 (total tax) and show them how much is being _kept_.

At least then maybe they'll complain to their congresscritter (and vote in someone new 2 years from now). If enough of us do that.... :)

Catherine

Clients (married couple with 2 kids - Dad in the military with some non-taxable combat pay) came in Thursday evening. I had already asked them to bring the amount of stimulus payment with them. They hadn't been able to find it in their records and used the IRS site. I should say "tried" to use the IRS site but it was down each time they had tried on Wednesday. We tried again in my office -- still down. They were pretty sure they got the whole amount, so I sent the e-file that way. Next day they called and said they finally got on site and it was $300 less than what was allowed for '08. I told them the return had already been accepted so I couldn't change the worksheet.

I'm sure IRS knows the amount they sent last year. Do they get the remaining $300 this year automatically? Or, is there something I can do to request the additional $300? Even though the worksheet is wrong, it's not asking for more stimulus payment than eligible. Would this also cause a delay in refund?

Thanks

I've got to admit something -

I was just commenting to my boss about Monday mornings, how I hate them, don't want to be a part of them, wish we could skip Mondays altogether. Then I read this post and others like "Pet Peeves." I must admit, I have it easy compared to you guys and I really have no reason to complain. When I read posts like these, it makes me want to do something to make it better for you, create an easier way for you to get your returns done, a site that brings everything together. It's been on my mind for a long time, but I just don't know where to start. Hopefully, instead of complaining about today, I should start thinking for tomorrow.

An excerpt of our conversation -

Me: Wow, you can tell it's a Monday, huh?

Boss: How do you know?

Me: Oh, I have a feeling.

For the life of me, I could not get out of bed. I came in a half hour early and just stared at my computer screen. Waited for the coffee to brew, filled a huge glass, sipped away at it. Still feel blah. Coffee just doesn't do what it used to anymore.