ATX Community

Recover Rebate calculation

SunTaxMan

Most clients have not been in military during any part of 2008.

If I answer question correctly, i.e., "No" - no rebate is calculated.

If I answer question INcorrectly, i.e., "Yes" - rebate calculates.

If I IGNORE the question, i.e., don't answer it at all, the rebate calculates.

I don't understand:

1. Why the worksheet is responding this way or,

2. What military involvement has to do with the Recover Rebate, other than requirement for SS #s.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

It's because whoever designed the worksheet is an idiot. Just click "Calculate the credit" and scroll all the way down to the second to last box (I think) and enter the amount they received for the stimulus in 2008. The last box will list the RRC, if any.

Do not check any box in the "military question". You are actually instructed to skip that section, but you have to read the worksheet line by line to see this instruction.

I have looked and looked and looked for an answer to this question and have not found anywhere the questions as to how or why the 2008 military service determines eligibilty. I have done it the way Chowdahead explained. Only thing I have cleared the mud out of the water on is the taxpayers MUST have valid SS# to get the credit. ITIN's don't get it.

Most clients have not been in military during any part of 2008.

If I answer question correctly, i.e., "No" - no rebate is calculated.

If I answer question INcorrectly, i.e., "Yes" - rebate calculates.

If I IGNORE the question, i.e., don't answer it at all, the rebate calculates.

I don't understand:

1. Why the worksheet is responding this way or,

2. What military involvement has to do with the Recover Rebate, other than requirement for SS #s.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Chowdahead is exactly right. You shouldn't check any of the boxes in that question. One of the lines before tells you to skip those questions depending.

He is also right on that whoever designed this worksheet is an idiot.

chad

Catherine, PLEASE don't hit your head with a brick.....I cannot

possibly remain in LOVE with you if your head is lopsided.

Booger

Have no fear, Booger my darling -- the bricks are all buried under a couple of feet of snow, out back. They are safe from me. And I am safe from them. You may still LOVE me with all the adoration in your soul. :wub::lol:

And thanks for the chuckle.

Here's some GOOD news for all regarding support -- I just called ATX and, in less than 12 minutes, I got through the automated "update" ("unable to locate" my e-return), got to a _person_ (the trick is to keep punching in zero's until the auto system gives up on you), and she was able to submit an EFC check-into-this request on one return (11 days and no ack) and "re-hang" (sounds painful) the ack's on two others and I got them on my program!

Catherine

<snip>

Here's some GOOD news for all regarding support -- I just called ATX and, in less than 12 minutes, I got through the automated "update" ("unable to locate" my e-return), got to a _person_ (the trick is to keep punching in zero's until the auto system gives up on you), and she was able to submit an EFC check-into-this request on one return (11 days and no ack) and "re-hang" (sounds painful) the ack's on two others and I got them on my program!

Catherine

MORE good news -- the same lady I spoke to called me back with resolution on the final of three issues I brought up -- barely an hour and a half after we talked.

Have no fear, Booger my darling -- the bricks are all buried under a couple of feet of snow, out back. They are safe from me. And I am safe from them. You may still LOVE me with all the adoration in your soul. :wub::lol:

And thanks for the chuckle.

Catherine

I've been re-hung by ATX many times this year already...It hurt a little the first few times, but now I don't feel a thing.

Actually, the form is not dumb, it's just that most do not READ it.

Here's the point, folks. You don't get the stimulus if you don't have as SSN. unless you are in the military, in which case you can. So, if you HAVE an SSN, you skip that question, if you follow the insturctions. But if you do NOT have an SSN, but you are serving the country, you may still get it if you answer question 4.

Here's the point, folks. You don't get the stimulus if you don't have as SSN. unless you are in the military, in which case you can. So, if you HAVE an SSN, you skip that question, if you follow the insturctions. But if you do NOT have an SSN, but you are serving the country, you may still get it if you answer question 4.

If you answer "yes" to question 2, "Does your tax return include a valid SSN for you and, if filing a joint return, your spouse?" you are instructed to skip questions 3 and 4. So you shouldn't have to deal with the military question at all. Right again, KC.

That odd about the military, because they use the social as the service number, no separate number anymore.

Married members of the military may receive economic stimulus payments this fall, even if their spouses or children don’t have social security numbers, following the newly-enacted HEART Act (Heroes Earnings Assistance and Relief Tax Act of 2008). Prior to this new legislation, some members of the military did not receive stimulus payments, or received a reduced amount, due to the absence of an SSN for a spouse or child.

But we have some people who's spouses have no SSN, just an ITIN, and thus could not get the stimulus. The Heroes Earnings Assistance and Relief Tax Act of 2008 wrote an exception to this rule. A spouse or eligible dependent child of a member of the US military may use an ITIN if a joint return is filed. That is what question #4 is about.

The form is dumb because it should block out the military question once it's indicated that the filer has an SSN. Instead it leaves it blue, leaving 99.9% of people with the impression that the question must be answered.