ATX Community

NT - Minimizing Overhead Costs

Ray in Ohio

With the ever increasing overhead costs for my business, I have consulted with a local contractor about lowering my ceiling. If I bend over when I stand, I could lower it at least four feet. This would still be sufficient for sitting at my desk, which is what I do 95% of the time I am in the office.

I wanted a bit of advice from others who have possibly had this procedure done in the past, before I go ahead and schedule the contractor.

Did it actually lower your overhead costs??

How did your clientele respond to it??

Any other advice would be appreciated on the matter. Thank you in advance.

It might work. You won't have to heat that area especially when very few are in the upper half of your room. It might help with the electric bill because you could use a lower watt bulb. The cost of lower the ceiling might be expensive but you would gain half the room for storage. If you put in a staircase to the upper level you could even put a bed up there so you could get a nap now and then, especially in Ohio if you get a big snow storm. There would be many possiblities for use of that space. You could put in a second office and make twice as much money and do the higher level returns on the second floor.

Many one of your clients could do the work in exchange for their taxes. It is only a thought.

Boy I think I need some sleep also.

But if you don't use your new upper level for business, you'll be depreciating a smaller percentage of square footage for business vs. total house.

WRONG - IRS is still using square feet, not cubic feet. I do believe this business must be inside the beltway!

z

With the ever increasing overhead costs for my business, I have consulted with a local contractor about lowering my ceiling. If I bend over when I stand, I could lower it at least four feet. This would still be sufficient for sitting at my desk, which is what I do 95% of the time I am in the office.

I wanted a bit of advice from others who have possibly had this procedure done in the past, before I go ahead and schedule the contractor.

Did it actually lower your overhead costs??

How did your clientele respond to it??

Any other advice would be appreciated on the matter. Thank you in advance.

One thought, won't the mileage records that your construction clients get off your ceiling be concealed?

Oh, wait, I see that the ceiling will be "lowered." Sounds like a smart move, then.

One thought, won't the mileage records that your construction clients get off your ceiling be concealed?

Oh, wait, I see that the ceiling will be "lowered." Sounds like a smart move, then.

Consider there will not be as much room for clients to grab those figures out of the air for their returns! :)

I saw this completely differently and I think it's a great idea. The clients who keep their mileage records and contributions written on my ceiling won't have to squint as hard since the info will be closer to their eyes. I'm starting work on the project tomorrow.

Haha! You guys crack me up. Thanks, Ray, and you contributors for this thread!

One thing I really have done for the past three weeks is leave tax files that I'm finished with piled in the office chairs that clients normally sit in. I can't believe I never thought of this before. It looks terrible, but people don't stay nearly as long if they're having to stand up.

Now, with this lowered overhead thing, they'd actually have to stoop. Wow, that should really get them moving along...

CHAIRS!?!

What are you doing with chairs?

If you put these things in your office, people will think they're supposed to SIT in them!

Buy an old park bench - the type with the wooden strips running left-to right and the downward taper on the front that makes you feel like you're sliding off when you sit forward. Then break out one or two slats in the middle so people are forced to sit near up the front edge with their legs spread to maintain their balance. Short wooden church pews with the straight backs work pretty well too, but just remember to remove the cushions.

But if you have to work with chairs, stack the tax files so high that they look like they're about to fall over. That will prevent some enterprising client from picking up the stack and trying to balance it in their lap while they sit in the chair. Just be prepared to explain why one or two of them can't deduct their hernia operation because it doesn't put them over the 7.5% threshhold.

last night in the middle of my slumber I thought of a possible side affect of "lowering my overhead".

If I have to walk around the office stooped over.... I am afraid I would walk like that on the golf course too.

(but then again, .......... maybe I could "keep my head down". HHmmmmm!!! :scratch_head:

Thanks everyone for making me laugh out loud today. This has been such a crappy tax season for me that it's been hard to laugh. I hope that the IRS doesn't start making a habit of having audits in January and February. This is killing me. If my client wasn't so old, I'd smack him for not gathering up the information himself. He's getting a big bill though.

Good one, Jack, but just admit it, you are taking files out of the cabinet right now and putting them in your chairs, aren't you?

Didn't have to take them out of the cabinet, they were already there...

My personal buisness return count is 40% ahead of last year. All the procrastinators seem to have seen the light this year... :blush:

All the procrastinators seem to have seen the light this year...

I recently bought a really good book on "how to stop procrastinating".

(I want to read it as soon as I get around to it)

When my sister was in college Chemical Engineering program, recruiters would take employee prospects out for dinner to get to know them a little. It was a very competive job market, I guess. Anyway, a couple of big company execs took one of her friends out to eat, were asking him questions, etc.

One of the recruiters asked Kevin if he was a procrastinator.

Kevin, a straight A Chem E student did not know what the word meant. They was a very long pause. He tried to look like he was being very thoughtful, trying to give an accurate and complete answer. Then he said, "I like to think I am."